minecraft/gaming laptop & school

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

kcordano

Estimable
Oct 15, 2015
I'm looking for a minecraft/gaming laptop for my daughter, but one where she can also do word processing for school. When I try to read up on what is needed for a gaming computer it starts to get confusing. I'd like to keep the cost to $1,500.00 or less

Solution
You don't need the redline boost, but this will be the only time you can have it done. Yes 64 bit, and windows 7 or 8.1 can be upgraded to windows 10 for free. 8gb is enough. This laptop is currently the only one available on the market that also has the ability to upgrade the graphics card. More RAM can be added later or a M.2 SATA SSD if the time ever comes.

naturesninja

Honorable
Dec 15, 2013

You must be new to this. MSi makes everything from laptops to PC parts, and even desktops they didn't just appear yesterday. They offer excellent customer support, and I would not recommend something to someone that wouldn't. Yes the 980m is overkill for minecraft, but he did say other games, and this one will be capable of playing any game at ultra settings now, and at high settings for years to come. Like I said in my first response, you can get away with a $400 laptop for minecraft. Dell is an okay company, but you will pay a premium for their name, which really isn't very good anymore other than their multi thousand dollar workstations. The dell laptop you linked for example could be out performed by a $520 acer 940m laptop on Newegg.

naturesninja

Honorable
Dec 15, 2013

You are very welcome! I think that you will both be very pleased.