Minimum requirements to play 60fps video content

druken

Estimable
Nov 28, 2015
Hello everyone,

I am looking for some advice from the video experts populating this forum.

I'm on an old Acer laptop that mounts a Nvidia GeForce 9600M GT graphic card, an Intel Core 2 P7350 CPU and 3 G of RAM, and I am unable to play for more than 30 minutes 720p videos at 60 frames per second and with a bitrate of about 4500.
I am wondering what is the component causing the system to stutter after that time, but I can't establish whether the issue is due to the lack of RAM combined with the old CPU, or to the Nvidia card itself.

Basically I am asking if someone knows what are the minimum requirements (graphics card, RAM and CPU) to play 60fps videos for more than an hour.

I see that most of the recent all-in-one PCs mount integrated graphics cards by Intel (like HD 4400 or 4600) and I am aksing myself if those cards, combined with more RAM and newer Intel CPUs, would be enough to play those 60fps videos. But I have read some so and so reviews of the Intel cards, which make me think that maybe an Nvidia card is somehow a minimum requirement for 60fps content.

Could anyone help me understand better this issue?
Thanks

maxalge

Honorable
Herald
May 31, 2012

do you monitor temps? sounds like overheating

druken

Estimable
Nov 28, 2015
[/quotemsg]

do you monitor temps? sounds like overheating[/quotemsg]

Yes the fans start spinning right after the beginning videos, like two minutes in, and after 30 mins the laptop looks very hot.
Do you think cooling down the CPU will help the PC keep playing the video?

maxalge

Honorable
Herald
May 31, 2012

download a program like msi afterburner

monitor temps

post back with max temps for the cpu and gpu

when the cpu or gpu overheats it throttles down performance to keep itself from cooking

druken

Estimable
Nov 28, 2015

does that imply that the specs of this laptop are enough to play this kind of video content?
I am not trying to solve any issue but to understand what is the minimum config that is guaranteed to work..

maxalge

Honorable
Herald
May 31, 2012

over time things like thermal paste need to be changed, or fans stop working.

you just posted it can play them, but after a time cant right?

ergo overheating, due to either of those causes

druken

Estimable
Nov 28, 2015

I see but what about the minimum requirement?
Cleaning the fans or replacing the thermal paste would allow the current ram/cpu/gpu on my laptop to play that content?

maxalge

Honorable
Herald
May 31, 2012

did you not post that you COULD but it starts to stutter after a while?