Mirrorless vs DSLR

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I'm going on a trip of a lifetime soon to Scotland and Ireland and want something better than my cellphone as well as something for taking around and snapping some nice photo's. I've had a few decent point and shoots but they have died over the years and I'm looking to step up the game a bit.

These are the two choices that fit within my price range. I like having WIFI/NFC phone control, but I question for my uses if I would need a DSLR and all the lens and filters and stuff or if I would really use them.

Here are two that are at my max price limit.

https://www.amazon.ca/Mirrorless-Accessory-Manufacturer-Accessories-Replacement/dp/B016WRTID4/ref=sr_1_74?s=photo&ie=UTF8&qid=1494366337&sr=1-74

Canon EOS M10 Mirrorless

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00J3BP7L4/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A2L8PJ8A72NL45&psc=1

Canon Rebel T6.

Or anything else that is $600 from Amazon.ca
Any pros' cons over both for a casual photographer who wants great quality and a step up from P&S.

Solution

Well...anything in that price range from Nikon/Pentax/Fuji. I say those, due to decades of being in the actual camera business.
And then you run into choice paralysis...:pt1cable:

Go for the M3. You'll be pleased.

USAFRet

Illustrious
For image quality, the current mirrorless cameras are on a par with a standard DSLR.
And a HUGE step up from any point and shoot.

I have a Fuji X-T1 mirrorless, and love it.

The main thing you really need to look at is the lens situation.
All of the majors have a wide selection of lenses. I have a new 35mm prime lens arriving tomorrow for the Fuji.
Generally, you might need two. A 35-50mm prime lens, and then a longer telephoto is that fits in your shooting style.

To start, though, the kit lens that usually comes with either of those is fine to get your feet wet.

Generally, the mirrorless body is a little bit smaller than a DSLR, so easier to carry around.

For the WiFi situation, I've found them far too fiddly. I can talk to the Fuji from the tablet, but that also requires the camera be on a tripod or somewhere. And 18 buttons to press to get things connected and working.
I do have an Eye-Fi card, to WiFi download the pics directly to the target device...PC, tablet, or wherever.

For your once in a lifetime trip....buy the camera NOW. Practice, practice, practice.
Multiple SD cards. Multiple batteries.

Thanks guys. Yes, USAFRet, I am looking now as my trip is 6 weeks away and just got a few extra $$ stored away, so I'm hoping I can find something by like this weekend or what not to get started ASAP. The mega kits seem nice, but again, lots of things I may not use, and can always pick up later from Amazon or Ebay. Just the big debate between the mirrorless and DSLR.

And you're right, the WIFI probably isn't as big of a deal as I think it would be. lol.

USAFRet

Illustrious
Those mega kits with all that crap are pretty useless.
Useless tripod, mediocre filters which you will probably never use, crap macro and tele addon adapter things.

Mirrorless or DSLR...at our price point, its a literal tossup for image quality.
www.dpreview.com has good reviews and comparison functions.

Canon EOS M3 18-55 White Mirrorless Camera Kit with EF-M 18-55mm Image Stabilization (IS) STM Lens, Wi-Fi Enabled https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B014EOMBYK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_IoKezbKVR480C

The for a few more dollars. Lol. Everytime it's just a few more....I need to set a price limit and stick by it or it just creeps up and creep and then it's well only $40 more for this model. Lol. That one has. 18-55 though over the first Sony's smaller mm size. If that matters. Lol. I'm a noon.

I might bite the bullet on it. anything else on Amazon.ca in that range you see that would be a competition for it?

USAFRet

Illustrious

Well...anything in that price range from Nikon/Pentax/Fuji. I say those, due to decades of being in the actual camera business.
And then you run into choice paralysis...:pt1cable:

Go for the M3. You'll be pleased.

Solution

mjslakeridge

Distinguished
Good advice above as to getting it as soon as you can and practicing a lot. Last month my wife was travelling in Asia, and the camera started saving pictures to the internal memory (which is very small), and it didn't see the SD card. I had installed a 8 GB SD card and gave her another one as a spare. Turns out she moved a knob on the top of the camera to "quick memo" or something and that stores the pictures to internal memory. I was trying to read through the pdf of the manual while on my computer and talking to her on the phone over Whatsapp, which was difficult. Luckily she figured it out and moved the knob back to Auto and the SD card was again recognized and pictures were again saved to the card. She did have her smartphone and a tablet as backups so took quite a few pictures on those devices also.

Have fun on your trip! I would like to visit Scotland or Ireland myself. I have only been to London, and that was on business, so I didn't see much.

Thanks guys, and yes I think if I try to compare the Canon/Nikon/Pentax/Fuji/Sony all in that price range, they are all going to be very similar to each other, and all will have a few pro's and can's vs the others and not worth the weeks of being indecisive like I normally am over a marginal difference. lol.

Actually my local best buy has the Sony a6000 on for about the same as I can get the M3 for.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/cameras/sony/a6000/vs/canon/eos-m3/

Do like that the Sony has the flip screen for selfie style mode, but also a EVF. the Canon the EVF is separate and like $250 to buy. Also seems to be better in other ways. Too bad the link alexoiu posted doesn't actually have any instock, but Best Buy I could go actually buy it from a store. An odd concept, used to milking my amazon prime for every penny I pay for it in shipping stuff. lol.

popatim

Splendid
I'm finding its becoming more rare that things with Prime is actually cheaper then some other site even if you factor in the shipping.
I just ordered some Powerstop powdercoated Brake Calipers and on RockAuto they were $165 plus like $8 shipping. On the mothership they were $245...

Well I made a choice. They had the Canon EOS M10 on sale brand new, and you got the EF-M to standard EF/EFS adapter for free, a $170 value. So I got that so I could use any EF/EFS mount lens with it, and save on lens. Then I order a bag, batteries, SD card, UV filter to protect the lens, and a EFS mount 50MM Prime lens, plus the kit lens it comes with, all for about the price the M3 would have cost and now I have an adapter for any lenses in the future. I'm happy, except I have to wait for all of it to ship. lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.