Missus laptop fail

Onelegedhaggis

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010
Hello gents.

The laptop is a Toshiba Satellite Pro L300.

The problem is this, turn it on,,, booting up.. you get the screen where you can press f2 for setup utility and f12 for boot manager, then it goes to a black screen bu with a blue box saying enter current password. Now none of the passwords she uses work. so im stumpet. also on the boot up thing, pressing f2 or f12 does nothing, it just goes to this password box. enter it wrong 3 times the lappy turns off.? Anybody have any auggestions? I was thinking to boot from cd and use the windows xp to re install but i cant change it to boot from cd lol

ITs not like a windows user log in password box, its just one black screen with a blue box asking for a current password. IS it a windows recovery password? bios maybe?

ok she just informed me that it was doign the 3 step revovery thing and kept aborting and failing and now this password thing appeard.

Am i right in thinking when loading up you can hold some keys tomake boot from cd and not have to go into the bios?

thanks

elel

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2009
It sounds like a BIOS password to me, especially if it is locking you out of BIOS. Reseting the BIOS would probably fix this. I'm not sure how to do this in a laptop though.

frozenlead

Distinguished
A BIOS password just doesn't appear, she has to have set it. Keep trying until you remember the password. You can also tear the notebook apart and try and clear the CMOS by removing the battery on the motherboard...but remembering the password is generally easier.