Miyamoto: Next Console Will Be Compact

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

keozin

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2009
I'll tell you what Nintendo needs to do.

Make a new console, that actually has, "next-gen" graphics, with decent online play, and no gimmicky remote control. Oh, and no childish games! I.e. "Cooking Mamma"...

Aren't they curious to see Link, Mario, and the rest of the crew in glorious 1080p, "NEXT-GEN" graphics?! I know I am!

fleetwood123

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2009
captmorganarr- you're talking about Project Natal

http://www.youtube.com/xboxprojectnatal

Anyways My favorite is PC gaming, but I also was interested in the Wii. Only Major Problem with the Wii was the horrible Graphics...(reminded me of Nintendo 64 graphics)The Nintendo DS also had Horrible Graphics, I mean by today's standard and the standard when they were created around 2005, You would Expect much more Advance Graphic Cards within them. Finally the DS is getting Nvidia Tegra Graphics in their NEW DS, Finally.......But the Wii 2 or whatever it's called Needs Much Improve graphics. Nintendo will probably use the Graphics that the 360 currently has and size it down like what they did with the Wii to 32nm...what is expected of them being too cheap. I understand Keeping costs down but Nintendo lowered the Wii Price a long time when they could did it earlier to make it more attractive and demolish the xbox 360 and Ps3. But no they play it safe...

eccentric909

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2006
[citation][nom]foxyg[/nom]Nintendo's next console will be as cheesy and as kiddy and 5 years behind in term of technology as usual.[/citation]

As usual? NES = Sega Master System, SNES = Genesis (both systems traded blows on different games and technical capability), N64 > PS1, Gamecube > PS2. All in terms of technical prowess. This is the only generation that Nintendo didn't have either equivalent or better hardware.. and guess what? They've sold more than both of the systems with more horsepower.

While I prefer to play on a PC, 360 or PS3, the Wii also has it's occasional fun game. However for you to say "as usual" is ridiculous and completely incorrect. All of their consoles up until the Wii were just as powerful, if not more powerful than their major competition's consoles.

fleetwood123

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2009
[citation][nom]Eccentric909[/nom]As usual? NES = Sega Master System, SNES = Genesis (both systems traded blows on different games and technical capability), N64 > PS1, Gamecube > PS2. All in terms of technical prowess. This is the only generation that Nintendo didn't have either equivalent or better hardware.. and guess what? They've sold more than both of the systems with more horsepower.While I prefer to play on a PC, 360 or PS3, the Wii also has it's occasional fun game. However for you to say "as usual" is ridiculous and completely incorrect. All of their consoles up until the Wii were just as powerful, if not more powerful than their major competition's consoles.[/citation]
I agree with you Eccentric909, on Nintendo and especially SEGA systems. In that time the technology was amazing when I was a Kid. But the Wii in general was not following the "Traditional Route of making a More powerful system", instead they went their own route to providing a New experience which attracted new users and a Fresh new Playing Field. If only Nintendo Wii Sported a Semi-powerful graphics card then I would still be playing it. My little brother bought the Wii and enjoyed the Mario games and SSB, but then he got bored especially of the graphics when Compared to his Friends Xbox 360. We bought he Xbox 360 after the Jasper Model was released and he Plays it non-stop, which me on the other hand was busy with College. I havn't been gaming since the 2004 with Halo 2, so when I got back into gaming only interesting Platform was the PC gaming which I re-entered since 2001. I thought of Finding "Free Alternatives FPS games" for the PC since I was saving up for College. I found Free to play games for the PC and Decided not to get into the Consoles anymore for the PC was the most cost-effective for me at this time. But I still hope the next Wii Surprises me with the Graphics and the Natal Project Hopefully Succeeds because Competitions is best for the winners are always the Consumers.

TheViper

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2006
[citation][nom]montezuma[/nom]How about you re-read what was said, you damned idiot.The guy was specifically asked about the hardware. Do you understand what the word "hardware" means? Huh? Do you? How about you just go away for good.[/citation]

Did you just suggest that Shigeru Miyamoto go away for good?

What madness do you speak.

redgarl

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2009
If you take into account that a 4850 cost about 80$ and is able to push every 360 and PS3 games easily, I don't have any difficulties to believe it.

From what it seems, Nintendo want to be able to launch their new console around 229$.

fleetwood123

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2009
[citation][nom]TheViper[/nom]Did you just suggest that Shigeru Miyamoto go away for good?What madness do you speak.[/citation]
I think montezuma was referring to ex-reader about his comment.

TheViper

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2006
Even the $40 HD 4650 has the same graphical horsepower as the PS3/X360 and within 2-3 years when the next Nintendo console is released it will likely have a low end HD 5000 or even HD 6000 series card which will easily handle everything the PS3/X360 can dream of.

However they may opt to modify the Broadway chip ensuring proper backwards compatibility, efficiency and architectural adhesion.

G

"Since when has the size of a console stopped sales?"
since the original xbox tried to sell in Japan but was deemed too big and unattractive too japanese households. even the gamecube was a little too big but it still sold well

yang

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
I have given up all hope on nintendo, they have repeatedly shown that they have abandoned their fanbase of nintendo fans. I wonder how far they can go with their current business strategy.

TheViper

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2006
[citation][nom]Yang[/nom]I have given up all hope on nintendo, they have repeatedly shown that they have abandoned their fanbase of nintendo fans. I wonder how far they can go with their current business strategy.[/citation]
Actually when you compare the release list of core Nintendo games from the GC and core Nintendo games from the Wii you'll note that Nintendo has not abandoned that audience at all. The difference this generation is that Nintendo has included more casual oriented titles into the mix but the volume of core titles from Nintendo is no different than recent previous generations.

G

I'm a hardware computer guy...and frankly the goal is not run fast hardware...it's to run fast applications.
nintendo knows what it's doing it's investing in software making attractive first party games. Do you really think you'd buy a ps3 or xbox if developers like valve and blizzard and square-enix developed solely for the wii...of course not cause all the good games would be on the wii. Nintendo has been "loosening" the software since the gamecube, and frankly the rock-band games other stuff have entry points cheapest at the Wii. The push for cheaper hardware and investment in better software is smart. If valve made a FPS game on the Wii and other company focused solely on eye-candy I bet you you would play Valve's stuff cause it's fun. Not saying it's not nice to have good graphics but good developers make good games.

buddhav1

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2009
idk why everyone is hating on the wii...

anyone who argues that it was a failure is ridiculous. just because it's not marketed as a "Hardcore Console for Hardcore Gamers" like the PS3 and 360 are, doesn't make it a failure at all. it revolutionized gaming with it's control type, and even your precious MS and Sony are adopting motion control. wonder why that is? besides, Nintendo makes its money on the casual gamers, not you hardcore PS3s that are just waiting for FF13 to come out. we get it. FF is awesome. now please move on with your lives.

Manos

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
"The next Nintendo console will be more compact and cost-efficient"

Then apparently for one more time doesnt give a shit about gamers like me who want somethign more than a mario and graphically bad games. Inovating is great but there has to be a damn reason why ppl spend so much money on each and every GPU. I dont get why Nintendo is literally willingly staying out of the game for ppl like me. I always loved Nintendo and now I have nothing to do with them cause all they do is Nintendogs and Marios along with their controller. Dont get me wrong. Not that they are bad but I love my games like my music and my woman in my bed.
HARD
CORE
Me no like lame things. Sorry.

fleetwood123

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2009
[citation][nom]manos[/nom]"The next Nintendo console will be more compact and cost-efficient"Then apparently for one more time doesnt give a shit about gamers like me who want somethign more than a mario and graphically bad games. Inovating is great but there has to be a damn reason why ppl spend so much money on each and every GPU. I dont get why Nintendo is literally willingly staying out of the game for ppl like me. I always loved Nintendo and now I have nothing to do with them cause all they do is Nintendogs and Marios along with their controller. Dont get me wrong. Not that they are bad but I love my games like my music and my woman in my bed.HARDCOREMe no like lame things. Sorry.[/citation]
That is why I chose to be back in the PC Gaming area after entering University. I liked consoles but I needed games to fit my Likes and I found free FPS games online without need for consoles. All I did was add a graphics card to my desktop at home and I run GTAIV with Mods.

TheViper

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2006
Manos, the catalog of "core" type games on Wii might surprise you. On average, most "core" type gamers are not very familiar with the product catalog for the Wii and only notice the casual games.

I'm not suggesting you run out and buy one right now but if you've been a fan of Nintendo before, give them the benefit of the doubt for one day and check out a Nintendo forum and ask them for game suggestions for someone like yourself.

Chances are very high that what you learn will surprise you and many titles will grab your interest. If after that day of soul searching you are not swayed to reconsider your stance, then you can at least say you've not made your decisions blindly as far too many of our gaming brethren have done this generation.

Not every game is Wii Fit.

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
damn, and here I was hoping that it would be more powerful...
no one will develop for it. people in the games industry get paid less than general IT people cause they do it because they like doing it! so all the good ones will quit, or they will have to be paid more to stay. so games will be shitter or cost more basically.

also was nintendo still a games company? I thought they would have moved into the same market as those workout dvds by now. you know, the products with ads that start with "get rock hard abs!"

Nexus52085

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2009
To Miyamoto,
I agree that it would be nice to go more compact and take up even less space in a living, and improving interface has worked so well with the Wii. I can see how both of these things would be important for a mass market product. However... you are completely contradicting yourself in one very big way. By limiting the hardware specifications, you really are limiting what you can put in a game. It has been your mantra to make gaming more widely accessible, but how can you make it more accessible if your hardware is less geared for the maximum amount of variety? For example, you CANNOT make a game with a large amount of people without it looking terrible. You cannot make a beautiful-looking photo realistic game because if you do, the 360 and PS3 will laugh at you. You cannot make a game with huge expanses of landscape because the hardware cannot push it. One of the most important and dibilitating limitation is linked to the Wii remote, the most vital component in your current console. Because you do not have HD, the pointer functionality is more jittery because of the limitation of pixels. The more pixels you have, the smoother the cursor would move on the screen. If you do not ramp up the power of your console this generation, you will not be able to make another console because the drop in market value of your company will be to great to fund R&D for the next generation.

Status
Not open for further replies.