Mobile "Gaming/Workstation" Laptop ~$2000-2700

WaspInfinite

Estimable
Aug 26, 2014
I know the threads come up often, extremely often in fact, and I tried to save myself some time by looking through the others posted. I was unable to find any that are relatively recent, the latest being March, so I decided to add on my own details and ask the whole question anew.

So, I am in the market for a laptop that I plan to play a few games on, plan to watch some anime and shit, the usual. But, my 18th is coming up and to help me with my hobbies and studies/interests my price range has gotten a significant bump, so now I can look at the far more... Appealing Laptops. Specifically in the $2000 to $2700 price range.

Uses:
-General Gaming, nothing too fancy. I like my games crisp and smoothly, but I'm no PC gaming fanatic.
-Heres the Big One: Graphics Design, and 3D Modelling. Not to mention some dabbling in coding and the like, but especially 3D Modelling.
-Game Creation: Unity 3D, Cryengine, etcetera, are making indie game development allot more feasible and easy. Im not really so much into the "Indie Game" side of things, but combined with my hobbies and interests, making something decent is what I'm aspiring to do over the span of a couple of years while I learn, slowly improving myself and teaching myself what I can from where I can.

Now, Specifics;
-Speed: Decent. Like I said, enough to play my games within reasonable bounds, and to do the work I need done. I can always leave it on for a few hours to render any really HQ model or something, but I do need something reasonably good.
-Mobility: I need to be able to take it places, so I do need a Laptop/Workstation, else I'd just make a desktop and be done. But Weight/Size doesn't bother me. I have another, heavily outdated but manageable light & small laptop that I can use where I don't need this one
-Screen: I know I said that Size doesn't bother me, but Screen Size/Quality is off definite importance. After All, I'm doing allot of technical and graphics work. At the very least a 1920 x 1080 resolution with a pretty decent size I can handle, but nothing smaller and preferably Bigger.
-RAM: 16GB. At Least. With the Modelling, which can take allot of resources, and even worse with the Game Construction, I'm definitely going to need allot of resources. If you think I don't, feel free to argue the point, but I with the price range I think it shouldn't be too much of an ask
-SSD/HDD: External Harddrives aren't that big of an issue, so I don't need too much HDD, or even that fast of one. If I save much on the computer, it'll mostly be Videos for portability and i'll have them saved some where else anyway so I won't take too much around. Same can be said of an SSD tbh, I don't need that much space. I keep my stuff pretty organised, and don't play any huge computer games, so I should manage pretty easily. Ideally I want an SSD for my few Games, and my "Works In Progress", and the HDD I can put anything I won't use often. pretty much everything.
-Battery Life: No Importance at all. Im not going to be one the move with this thing too much, and I'll never be working while on the move, so it doesn't affect me the slightest. Literally rip out the battery for all I care. Ive held on with a laptop with a broken battery for a few years, so for this it really doesn't affect me.
-Sound: I use headphones allot, but I do like nice sounds. Additionally, Fan sound doesn't bother me when I'm busy. If Im not working the laptop, merely playing a video or something, I would expect quiet, but when I'm actually doing something who really cares about the sound a fan makes?
-External Connections: I don't need too much, I doubt I'm gonna be connecting to 3 screens and all. Just the general at least, although a laptop in this price will usually bring better anyway. Oh, and WiFi, although thats always standard. but I do like my normal connections, something slim that doesn't even have the bare essentials won't do.
-ERM, I DID THINK OF SOMETHING. Ahhhn. Oh, Lifetime: Its going to be my main computer for at the very least (unless I get some lucky computer related job break) a good 5 years, but I'll keep it in great condition. I'll treat her with care, so just something that won't be considered a pile of junk by then is enough. That pretty much is everything else anyway

I know allot, or at least more than your average about computers in the softwares and that side of things, and I know my general Specs and all. But when it comes to actually buying of the things, I can't find anything. Or Usually, I find too much, and I don't know what I'm looking at. I don't buy computers so its almost like "pearls before swine" if you leave the decision up to me.

Oh, and I live in Australia, so something right at the top of the price range + shipping isn't feasible for me. And if I don't have to spend so much, I don't plan to. I may be getting it majorly as a gift, but I'm not the type to rob my Parents blind.

PS. From the March post I saw Here, Both the ASUS and MSI seemed like perfect options, within the price range easily, and I have always been a small fan of the MSI brand (although, they make finding what you want on their site a damn hassle. Apache, Battleship, and Dragon? Just gimme prices and specs fools! 0.o). And ASUS has always been reliable..

PSS. If I can get allot better (in terms of for my needs) for the same price, but there is a cheaper option that is the bare "essentials", include both. I wouldn't mind something nicer :)

Solution
Hey WaspInfinite!

Sorry, I didn't realize you were located in Australia! Unfortunately, we don't ship internationally. :(

However, based on your needs, I looked around in Australian E-tailer sites for a laptop that matches your needs and I think I may have found one!

(http://www.tecs.com.au/shop/msi-gs70-2pc-031au-17-3-i7-gaming-notebook-free-delivery-discount-code-msi.html) - $2,499.00 + free shipping + free Siberia V2 headset (I love these headsets, they're comfortable and perfect for gaming).

This laptop has 16GB RAM, i7 Intel Core Processor, 860M GTX (Not the 880M, but it's a very powerful GPU and can run most games at high/ultra settings), 2 x 128SSDs, and a 1TB HDD.

I would check around the site for other MSI laptops, they...
Hey!

Since you're looking for possibly an MSI laptop, I configured a GT70 Dominator for you (http://www.ibuypower.com/Store/MSI-GT70-Dominator-Pro-Gaming-Laptop/W/232055) - $2,540 + free shipping.

Also, use promotional code (BOXBOX5) for 5% off your purchase, so you can upgrade more parts if need be.

This beast of a laptop includes an Intel® Core™ i7-4910MQ Mobile Processor (4x 2.9GHz/8MB L3 Cache), which is the second best mobile processor you can buy in the market.

It also includes a 880M, one of the best single GPU's in the market as well. This also includes 16GBs of RAM, upgraded to G.Skill Ripjaws X for maximum performance.

Next, storage. This laptop is configured to have a 120GB SSD for your games, programs, and OS combined with a 1TB WB Black HDD for everything else (within your budget and the coupon code, you can still upgrade the SSD to 256GB).

Screen quality is 1920x1080p with an Anti-Glare feature and lastly, sound. The GT70 Dominator is equipped with the HD Audio with Creative Soundblaster Cinema for a better sound quality during gaming/music sessions.

Let me know if you have any questions or would like a different recommendation! :)

WaspInfinite

Estimable
Aug 26, 2014

In the configure section in the "Primary Harddrive" its set to a 120GB SSD + 1TB WB Black HDD
Whats the Difference between having that and having it set as any of the other SSD's and having the "Data Harddrive" set to one of the 1TB Harddrives rather than the "nothing" that its set to?
Because if theres no difference between the two, would I not be able to both save myself money and possibly choose a larger SSD by having a different SSD and picking a 1TB harddrive in the "data drive" section?

Other than that, everything looks pretty good, and thank you for answering both so quickly and accurately to what I was looking for. I believe that your answer is perfect in terms of what to look at. However, shipping may be a problem as I live in Australia and as far as I can see the site/company only ships to USA and Canada. Is there any work-around you could organise, as I am willing to pay some extra, or would I have to organise it to ship through another shipping company, in which case I would also have to look into shipping regulations in regards to computer hardware, etc.

Hey WaspInfinite!

Sorry, I didn't realize you were located in Australia! Unfortunately, we don't ship internationally. :(

However, based on your needs, I looked around in Australian E-tailer sites for a laptop that matches your needs and I think I may have found one!

(http://www.tecs.com.au/shop/msi-gs70-2pc-031au-17-3-i7-gaming-notebook-free-delivery-discount-code-msi.html) - $2,499.00 + free shipping + free Siberia V2 headset (I love these headsets, they're comfortable and perfect for gaming).

This laptop has 16GB RAM, i7 Intel Core Processor, 860M GTX (Not the 880M, but it's a very powerful GPU and can run most games at high/ultra settings), 2 x 128SSDs, and a 1TB HDD.

I would check around the site for other MSI laptops, they seem to be in your price range and a good deal!

Also, this is another great option (http://www.tecs.com.au/shop/msi-ge70-2pe-038au-apache-pro-17-3-i7-gaming-notebook-free-delivery-discount-code-msi.html) - $1,899.00 + free shipping + free Steel Series mouse.

It has most of everything the GS70, except it only has 1 x 128GB SSD and only 8GB of RAM, but you save nearly $800. I'd install my own RAM into the laptop (Extremely easy, easiest component to add/remove). It costs about $50-60 and it only brings it to a total cost of $2,000 possibly. You still get the 860M, which is a very powerful GPU.

Let me know if you have any questions or need help installing your ram!

Solution

WaspInfinite

Estimable
Aug 26, 2014

Yeah, Porbably should have mentioned, sorry. And thanks for still going through the trouble of looking, I really appreciate it. I still need to check, but it looks and sounds great. Thanks soo much :D

Zchu

Estimable
Jan 6, 2015
Sounds like you need exactly what I need (only your budget is much higher) I am in the same pickle, need a powerful machine... but also need it to be mobile!

Hope you find what you are looking for, I will keep my eye on your thread, hopefully I will get some ideas for myself.

georgi5000

Honorable
Jan 2, 2013
Well I think for your job you will need the best GPU you can get. I'm offering you to take a look at the ASUS ROG G751JY
http://www.ibuypower.com/Store/ASUS-ROG-G751JY-Laptop
I didn't gone through the hassle to look for it so that it will be comfortable for you (sorry for that), but you can goole it at your nearby shops and if they offer - see it and test it.
It has quad core i7-4710HQ clocked at 2.5GHz
24GB of RAM which will be enough for your job
It has 248GB of SSD and 1TB 7200rpm HDD
oh and 17" 1920x1080 Anti-Glare screen
And the most important - Nvidia GTX980M 4GB
I hope I helped you.... if I was doing your stuff ... I would go for it because it will make your working process much more pleasant (cuz no laggg :D I think....)
P.S. I'm thinking of getting the same laptop for programming/web development and video/photo editing (interrested in some movie making and stuff xaxaxa)