Solved! Mobile Hotspot for Chromebook internet everyday use

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 16, 2020
I do not want to get into a contract with an ISP. Have been using a Mobile Hotspot for working from home for my work laptop. But since xfinity is stopping their wifi hotspot monthly passes, I now have to find another way to connect to the internet on my Chromebook. Any suggestions? The prepaid plan xfinity offers does not offer enough data.

Solution
Have you looked at these sorts of devices?

While not 100% certain, I suspect you could get with an acceptably priced data plan to meet your needs. Other carriers offer similar devices.
Dec 16, 2020
Do you also have a work cell phone with an "unlimited" plan (not Xfinity's phone service)?
Do you also have a work cell phone with an "unlimited" plan (not Xfinity's phone service)?
No, I do not. My main goal is to get some sort of access to internet that gives me enough data to stream movies, check email, social media, and the like, but where I don't have to get into a contract. That's why the xfinity wifi on demand passes were perfect for me. As far as I know, no other company offers those sort of passes. So is there any way around this that you know of?

COLGeek

Cybernaut

While not 100% certain, I suspect you could get with an acceptably priced data plan to meet your needs. Other carriers offer similar devices.

Solution
Dec 16, 2020

Thank you so much! I wasn't aware of this from AT&T. I will check it out!

I do not want to get into a contract with an ISP. Have been using a Mobile Hotspot for working from home for my work laptop. But since xfinity is stopping their wifi hotspot monthly passes, I now have to find another way to connect to the internet on my Chromebook. Any suggestions? The prepaid plan xfinity offers does not offer enough data.

Did you check with the ISPs in your area to make sure they are all yearly contract plans? Not all plans need a yearly contract.

Dec 16, 2020
Did you check with the ISPs in your area to make sure they are all yearly contract plans? Not all plans need a yearly contract.
So I think I found a solution. I came across Boost Mobile. They offer 50GB of data for only $50. That is a great deal! I have been paying $50 for only 5GB with Straight Talk. The only thing is, their website does not work on my Chromebook for some reason. So I don't see the "add to cart" unless I go to their site on another device. This will be frustrating when I need to add data every month because I can't access to buy the data directly from my Chromebook! But I see no comparable plan out there. I checked them all! AT&T, Verizon, t-Mobile/Sprint. None of them have this sort of deal. And the mobile hotspot device itself is only $50. Some on amazon sell upward of $270! So I think I'm on my way. Do you have any experience with Boost Mobile? This is what I'm planning on buying: https://www.boostmobile.com/hotspots/coolpad-surf.html

So I think I found a solution. I came across Boost Mobile. They offer 50GB of data for only $50. That is a great deal! I have been paying $50 for only 5GB with Straight Talk. The only thing is, their website does not work on my Chromebook for some reason. So I don't see the "add to cart" unless I go to their site on another device. This will be frustrating when I need to add data every month because I can't access to buy the data directly from my Chromebook! But I see no comparable plan out there. I checked them all! AT&T, Verizon, t-Mobile/Sprint. None of them have this sort of deal. And the mobile hotspot device itself is only $50. Some on amazon sell upward of $270! So I think I'm on my way. Do you have any experience with Boost Mobile? This is what I'm planning on buying: https://www.boostmobile.com/hotspots/coolpad-surf.html

Not sure why the site won't work on a Chromebook, Chrome web browser is a pretty major standard for things to work on. If you are using this at home, for $50 you should be able to get a more reliable setup for the house from an wired ISP vs a phone company wireless service. Probably even cheaper.

Status
Not open for further replies.