Mobility 5970?

fgocards

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2009
I think ATI is holding out on us. It's all making sense to me, but I could just be an imbecile! It's most likely the second one, but lets consider my idea first. :D I think ATI made all the 58xx series 128 bit to make the next one they release look like a jaw dropper --- (The 5970) a 256 bit card. If this is true, it would be holding 1600 stream processors, probably a 800 stock core clock and 1.25 memory clock.

I could very well be wrong, but I think ATI wants it to be a surprise. At least I sure hope so. Just think about it --- 1 mobility 5970 would = 2 280m's in SLI. So 2 5970s in x-fire, in one laptop... WOW. We're getting close to Crysis being maxed on a laptop if I'm right.. Haha. :love:

I want to know your opinions on this guys, could I be right, or am I just a lunatic?

frozenlead

Distinguished
Do you mean 5970 or 5890? I think the latter would be more likely if it were to happen - the 5970 number is tied to a dual GPU card now, and could be misleading...ATI != nvidia in naming (thank god!).

Generally, though, with notebooks, the high end card comes out for a series and that's it. I don't think there's even been a case from a single manufacturer where they've trumped their own top card in the mobile market with the same generation.

While I would love to agree with you, I can't just shake the thought that the power-down of the 5870M specs were simply to get inside the power envelope of notebooks. The full card just can't be there.

I think 1 5870M is a little better than 1 280M - so two of a higher-power card would definitely be over 2 280M's in SLI. Sadly, I don't think it'll happen.

fgocards

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2009
That does sound more possible. I did expect a 4890 to come out last gen, but it never did. I'm just really hoping ATI is holding out, for maybe a 5890 like you said. They really disappointed me... Who knows though, they maybe working something up, but anyone working on it wouldn't even be allowed to tell their family about it. It's not like they're working for the CIA, I mean common guys! :(

Probably wouldn't happen. Heat is one of the biggest issues laptops face and the shear amount of heat those things would release would be an absolute nightmare to try and manage. The laptop would need a turbine to keep the things cool. And like Frozen stated, the amount of energy they would suck up would be staggering.

Although NVidia is coming out with the GTX 285M which is going to trump the 280M. And NVidia also did it with the 7900's. They released the Go 7900GTX first and then later the Go 7950GTX that is in my laptop.

frozenlead

Distinguished

I forgot about the 285 as it's not on notebookcheck yet...and I guess I just plain forgot about the 7950..lol

Yeah, dual 5870's would be a possibility if they toss it in a laptop like the Clevo X8100 or Alienware's M17x (ew). Battery life will still be an issue, but you don't honestly buy that type of laptop expecting to get 2+ hours away from the plug.

fgocards

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2009

I hope Asus makes another x-fire laptop like the w90. Very affordable, yet powerful (Besides the driver issue). Wasn't the w90 only like 1600 or 1700?

I think it was closer to 2200, but it was still a very strong competitor for Clevo's M980 which is about the same price. I'd love to see Clevo release a laptop with these, but Clevo seems to favor NVidia so I don't see it happening.

fgocards

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2009
I smell bribes... But then again I'm sure in almost every major company they get paid special in some way to use a certain companies part that we the consumers don't know about. (Like GPU, CPU, etc.)

Eh, I think with Clevo it's more of a performance issue. Clevo has always been into selling the "best of the best" and for the last few generations, NVidia has been the best in the notebook sector. Things might change this time around, but we need to wait for Fermi before we can draw that conclusion. And I seriously hope it does. More competition from ATI with laptop cards means cheaper NVidia cards and thus cheaper laptops in general. It's a win-win.