modern smart TV to old fashioned amplifier

poujol

Commendable
Nov 20, 2016
Hi, I want to connect my new Sony 4K smart TV to my vintage Arcam amplifier. It only has RCA inputs, but I can't find a line out on the Sony that will carry a suitable signal for RCA plugs. Any suggestions?
Thanks

Solution
TV ---(Toslink)--TosTORCAconverter---(RCA stereo)---> amp.

U must make sure there is gain control somewhere along the signal path else u gonna blow speakers, maybe ears drums.

poujol

Commendable
Nov 20, 2016

Looks like that will work, thanks. I also found a 3.5mm headphone jack on the back of the the TV and was looking at using that to twin RCAs. But whenever I've tried running an MP3 through the amp that way, the signal loss has been huge, so I prefer your answer.
I guess I should replace the Arcam, but it was the first thing I bought with my first ever wage check and I'm kinda attached the old thing, even if it is pushing 35 years old!

That's beauty of separate components, you like how your amp sound, keep it, amplifiers haven't change much, in fact some folks prefer old amplifier, built like tanks, raw solid power. Am using 3 discrete stereo Audiosource, 20 years old power amps myself.

TRENDING THREADS