Modern Warfare 2 Tops Entertainment Industry

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FoShizzleDizzle

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2009
[citation][nom]Chriscornell[/nom]Enjoy it while it lasts Inactivision and InsanityWard, your costumer support on all platforms and treatment of pc-players will come back and bite you in the a**.I for one, am NEVER going to buy Activision products again - tardcakes![/citation]
This comment is entertaining, seeing how it comes from someone whose username is derived from an artist who made one of the biggest sellout moves in the history of music -- comparable in nature to the console sellout move by Activision/IW. Timbaland... Really?

Shadow703793

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2007
[citation][nom]soul555top[/nom]The PC marketshare could have been 10% though.[/citation]
Probably more than that, esp. if they put in a good PC style multilayer.

truehighroller

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2006
[citation]Modern Warfare 2 bested Grand Theft Auto IV's $500 million launch from 2008.[/citation]

Another Piece of shit game that did way to well and it still broke to this day.

accolite

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
I think they would of sold more like 25% - 35% on PC. I don't play consoles and there are a lot of people that don't either. Any medium spec pc will play MW/MW2. I take the ratio of the people that I know of and only 35% of them have a console but they all have a PC. So this game could of sold big on the PC.

I bought MW and got hooked, just from giving my friends a little demo they went out and bought it and a few coworkers. But now that we are Boycotting them the people I know are as well.

Big Loss for you IW.

B16CXHatch

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2008
I bought this game for PC like dumbshit. I wanted it for the Single Player story cause I'm a story junky. I want my damn money back. That sad excuse for a single player sure as shit wasn't worth $60. That game was no better (in fact much worse) than a $20 expansion pack. Remember CoD: United Offensive? It improved big time upon the original Call of Duty. Still to this day it is my favorite multiplayer of all the CoD games. Even the campaign was relatively good.

What happened to the brother's in arms attitude of the old ones? It feels almost completely absent this time around. I mean even CoD4 had some of it.

You know what, I'm really looking forward to EA's new games. I really hope their MoH revitalization and the BF Bad Company 2 are really good.

For now, I'm just gonna sit here and keep playing Team Fortress 2 for my FPS action and turn to my trusty PS2 for long as hell story filled JRPG's. I still have a few to finish.

micr0be

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2009
iv been playin online with a pirated copy for the past 3 days ... not anymore though they patched steam and gota wait for a loader for MP.

also console has been dealt with and co-ops too (u can now play with anyone U CHOOSE to) MP still in the works for the pirated copys .... my point is that when they successfully complete the works ... hopefully IW will add dedicated server through update and proper console too

....ONLY then will i consider buying it.

Ehsan w

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2009
[citation][nom]XZaapryca[/nom]America was the greatest place on Earth not too long ago. Don't believe me? Lots of people think so, but ask a Native American. My point is, no matter what MW2 means to the rest of the world, PC gamers like myself were screwed. No Diablo3 in 2010? Jesus.... This is getting better by the minute.[/citation]

I agree with you, but I'd rather have a good Diablo III, rather than a shitty version so we can play in in '10
so I don't really think we're getting screwed over.....(that much)

adillhoff

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2009
[citation][nom]EasyC[/nom]A video game has conquered the entertainment industry, gosh I thought it was pirates that were crippling the gaming market. I hope the other gaming companies are taking notes, if you create a good quality franchise you'll make some serious $$$.[/citation]

Unfortunately this isn't a good, quality franchise. The game will be dead in a few months. How many hardcore gamers stuck with MW1? I saw some pretty empty servers after the first year. The only reason this game was "successful" is because the console kiddies do not like challenges. The gameplay in CoD games is not fast paced and does not require twitch. Easy games sell like hotcakes. Don't believe me? How many people are still playing WoW?

Nexus52085

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2009
[citation][nom]kirvinb[/nom]Well since each game cost $60 and a movie ticket costs 10 or less, takes a lot less to make more in the video game industry I would. guess. Still a awesome feat. I am sure this great reception economically will give them reason to ignore the cries of failure from the PC gaming community.[/citation]
Thank you! I know it sold well, but when it comes to the number of individuals who buy the game vs. the number of individuals who go to see a particular blockbuster, MW 2 hasn't beaten the movie market by far. The average movie ticket is 10 bucks. The average MW2 game costs 60 bucks ;). Harry potter saw 394 million bucks in the first five days. 394,000,000/10 = 39.4 million people went to see harry potter in the first 5 days. MW 2 made 550 million in the first 5 days. 550,000,000/60 = 9,166,667 people bought MW2 in the first 5 days. In TRUE comparison, four times as many people saw The Half-Blood Prince as compared to those who bought MW 2. That's the math lesson for tonight. I don't know why this article was written.

G

Too bad New Moon is probably gonna break MW2 record breaking sales...maybe.

theuerkorn

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2009
Good example that as long as there is publicity, there is no bad publicity. And let's be honest, many of the ones claiming they wouldn't buy it probably did anyway. Too much hype, peer pressure and a generally greatly established franchise. ;-)

theuerkorn

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2009
Oh, and breaking the entertainment record ... simply charge $60 admission instead of $10. (Then again, the game admittedly lasts longer than a movie too.)

foody

Distinguished
May 7, 2009
I think Halo 3 would have been more successful than this if it were cross platform like MW2. I think there was a lot more hype around Halo.

mcshasta

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2009
Not sure why they would compare the earnings of a video game to a movie like Dark Knight.

It costs $60+ to buy the game and only $8-10 to go see a movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.