Modern Warfare 2 Tops Entertainment Industry

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Regulas

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
Bahh, I just log into BF2 and get some shooting in then play Dragon Age instead on a PC of course, piss off Activision. Let the kiddies buy your over-hyped crap for the kiddie consoles.

bloodlust22

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2008
The single player is so so but way too short. The MP is aweful when compared to CoD 4 and WaW. The IW net is a laggy joke, If you are able to play more then one hour without getting migrated to another host your lucky. Graphics engine is the same as the games before it, nothing more too look at. I for one enjoy the team play matches as free for all is nothing but a bore. This game however rewards campers and pussies with a million different perks to kill everyone with which is bullshit. Free for all is one thing but when your playing CTF, Sab, or HQ someone who doesn't do anything but sit in a cornor shouldn't be rewarded. This game has alot more wrongs then rights, needless to say I sold my POS copy and got most of my wasted $60. I won't be buying another CoD game made by IW unless trey is the develeoper.

lumpy

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2007
Hey nexus.. to this day there are thousands of servers full of hardcore gamers playing MW.Check Your facts eh?
However,MW2 will fade quickly with no dedicated servers etc.Your right about that.

nekatreven

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2007
[citation][nom]chronicbint[/nom]This game is seriously good fun on the PC. While lacking in a few features it is, without doubt, one of the best FPS multi player experiences.[/citation]

You're a tool who doesn't deserve to own a PC to play on. Go buy an xbox.

G

PC version: no LAN, can't stop music from playing, CAN NOT DISABLE UGLY CROSSHAIR...
If this is fixed, I buy the game to!

gamerjames

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2008
Such a great game. It isn't overhyped at all, everything about this game is good. I am a hardcore PC gamer, I go to lans such as QuakeCon and play Quake Live alot, But i must admit, I bought this game for the ps3 and I love it. Millions of people are on each day, not hard to find a game to get in and it's very competitive. A lot of cool features and perks that just make this game what it is. All of the console kiddies can't be wrong.. as much as I hate to say it. And also, pirating this game will in no way get Infinity Ward to change the dedicated servers.

This game may die for PC, but in all honesty war games on PC aren't even good. Want a real PC game? Play the UT series or Quake, fast paced action.

Don't complain about war games if they aren't even meant for the PC in the first place.

The 10 million people that bought this game are enjoying it, while all of you are bitching about dedicated servers. Wow.

smokinu

Distinguished
May 30, 2008
The only thing that the whole boycot will do is make game developers think twice about releasing or putting in much effort for games on the PC, especially when they are selling like hot cakes on consoles. Apparently us PC gamers are starting to die out and with the release of this game the dev's know this as well.

or................

All those boycotting the PC version went and purchased a console version lol.

etrnl_frost

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2009
[citation][nom]XZaapryca[/nom]America was the greatest place on Earth not too long ago. Don't believe me? Lots of people think so, but ask a Native American. My point is, no matter what MW2 means to the rest of the world, PC gamers like myself were screwed. No Diablo3 in 2010? Jesus.... This is getting better by the minute.[/citation]
? I preordered Left 4 Dead 2 and Dragon Age, and bought Borderlands as well. I will have plenty to play into the next year, not including some other high profile releases (when is Mass Effect 2 out?). Activision far from screwed me over - they saved me $60. Thanks for making it plan what I don't need to buy this game heavy season :)

etrnl_frost

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2009
[citation][nom]etrnl_frost[/nom]? I preordered Left 4 Dead 2 and Dragon Age, and bought Borderlands as well. I will have plenty to play into the next year, not including some other high profile releases (when is Mass Effect 2 out?). Activision far from screwed me over - they saved me $60. Thanks for making it plan what I don't need to buy this game heavy season[/citation]
* plain

Also, for those of you waiting so long for Diablo III, Torchlight's been getting good reviews.

smokinu

Distinguished
May 30, 2008
See what all you Europeans did. Came over and colonizing America. I could have been 100% Creek but oh no, Now I am a half breed. Darn you.

mitchmeister03

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2009
[citation][nom]BloodLust22[/nom]The single player is so so but way too short. The MP is aweful when compared to CoD 4 and WaW. The IW net is a laggy joke, If you are able to play more then one hour without getting migrated to another host your lucky. Graphics engine is the same as the games before it, nothing more too look at. I for one enjoy the team play matches as free for all is nothing but a bore. This game however rewards campers and pussies with a million different perks to kill everyone with which is bullshit. Free for all is one thing but when your playing CTF, Sab, or HQ someone who doesn't do anything but sit in a cornor shouldn't be rewarded. This game has alot more wrongs then rights, needless to say I sold my POS copy and got most of my wasted $60. I won't be buying another CoD game made by IW unless trey is the develeoper.[/citation]

Are we even playing the same game? I boycotted the PC version like the rest of us (own MW1 on 360 and PC) but did pick up the 360 version since I have about 20 local friends that all play every night. I don't agree with anything you have said in your paragraph.
The single player has so many points in the game that are emotional and get you involved in the game. Yes, it's short, but it's also fairly difficult and extremely well written. Play the game on veteran and get back to me. The graphics engine is based off of the first MW, but has added lighting and shadows, plus the fog and terrain make it very realistic and difficult to see people.

The multiplayer (IMO) is everything 1 was and adds a ton of customization. There's nothing like getting an AC-130 gunner and lighting up the battlefield. It's nearly impossible to camp in this game, they did an amazing job on the maps and make it so easy to sneak up behind someone who is camping and knife them. How can you camp when half the snipers have thermal sights and can see you sitting there? And if someone is sitting in a corner, why not lob a grenade or noob tube the bastard? Just because you tried to walk up to the guy and died repeatedly doesn't mean it's an issue with everyone else. The perks are extremely balanced, they got rid of shitty juggernaut and martyrdom as a perk, and now are only effective when you die 4 times in a row.
Yes, I will agree that the IW Net is far too laggy, and lag has a huge affect on the game. There are many times where my whole group will have 3 "Bars" instead of 4, and it's a huge difference in bullet registration. If they could make that better, the MP would be perfect. But then you complain about being migrated to another host, but in MW1 you didn't even get that option, and sometimes you would get booted from a game 4 times in a row from hosts constantly leaving.
It sounds to me like it was too difficult for you so you quit and are now QQing to the internet so you feel better about your decision.

badaxe2

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2008
[citation][nom]Honis[/nom]So what was the production cost of MW2? Lets get the nit and gritty on how much $ was actually made.[/citation]

All in all I read the total budget including marketing and promotion was around $200 million. That seems ridiculously high though.

badaxe2

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2008
[citation][nom]Nexus52085[/nom]Thank you! I know it sold well, but when it comes to the number of individuals who buy the game vs. the number of individuals who go to see a particular blockbuster, MW 2 hasn't beaten the movie market by far. The average movie ticket is 10 bucks. The average MW2 game costs 60 bucks . Harry potter saw 394 million bucks in the first five days. 394,000,000/10 = 39.4 million people went to see harry potter in the first 5 days. MW 2 made 550 million in the first 5 days. 550,000,000/60 = 9,166,667 people bought MW2 in the first 5 days. In TRUE comparison, four times as many people saw The Half-Blood Prince as compared to those who bought MW 2. That's the math lesson for tonight. I don't know why this article was written.[/citation]

Was the Half Blood Prince "R" rated? Technically everyone buying MW2 has to be 17 or older. It still wouldn't have moved as many units as the movie but think of this: How many people would purchase those movie tickets if they cost $60 a pop? I'm guessing at least 6x less.

mitchmeister03

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2009
[citation][nom]badaxe2[/nom]Was the Half Blood Prince "R" rated? Technically everyone buying MW2 has to be 17 or older. It still wouldn't have moved as many units as the movie but think of this: How many people would purchase those movie tickets if they cost $60 a pop? I'm guessing at least 6x less.[/citation]

We were discussing Nexus' post at work and one of my coworkers pointed out that the market for most movies has to be around 70% of the nation. For video games not only do the buyers have to own a console or pc, but they also have to be interested in the genre of the game to actually purchase it. So yes, movies have more people that watch them, but games have people that are genuinely interested in the title to purchase it.

Nexus52085

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2009
[citation][nom]lumpy[/nom]Hey nexus.. to this day there are thousands of servers full of hardcore gamers playing MW.Check Your facts eh?However,MW2 will fade quickly with no dedicated servers etc.Your right about that.[/citation]
This article is not talking about people playing multiplayer on dedicated servers. This article is really talking about market penetration and how MW 2 has (allegedly) set the record for the entertainment industry as a whole. I did check my facts.

Status
Not open for further replies.