Modern Warfare 3 Beats Avatar: Passes $1 Billion in 16 Days

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gavenr

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2011
[citation][nom]digitalzom-b[/nom]That's where your wrong. They haven't changed anything since MW1 and the game is setting new records each year. It doesn't make sense. It's like the idiots are multiplying by osmosis or something.[/citation]

Dont get me wrong there are other games that are great. Just the smoothest game right now for me is COD the 60 fps really makes all the difference for me and if halo or any other game upgraded or downgraded to 60 fps either way you wanna look at it. I will gladly switch to it. The ONLY reason i love COD is for the smoothness of the game.

stingray71

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2010
Have a hard time believing these numbers. Everyone I game with skipped MW3. Overall impression I'm getting, lots are not buying it.

digitalzom-b

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2011
[citation][nom]stingray71[/nom]Have a hard time believing these numbers. Everyone I game with skipped MW3. Overall impression I'm getting, lots are not buying it.[/citation]

Yeah but are you a PC gamer? :p Check the XBOX sales...

[citation][nom]jacekring[/nom]Just a question...why are they comparing how much money is earned on a game to a movie?You btw digitalzom-b are wrong, they have changed a LOT since MW1. The multiplayer was totally revamped for each release of the game. They added new game styles and changed the ranking system with each release. Graphics haven't changed much, except for skins and textures but quality is almost the same as MW2 (MW1 had much worse graphics). The single player sucks, just like it did in the last 5 COD games. But people buy it for the multi-player not the single player, I haven't even started the single player campaign but I've played probably a hundred hours on multiplayer (on PC).[/citation]

Changed the ranking system? New game styles? Yeah, sounds like a total revamp... Sorry but you're blinded by fanboyism. I've played every MW up to BLOPS and I will not be buying MW3 because I'm not paying 60 dollars for a shoddy expansion slopped together by a shell of a team.

_Pez_

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010
"Call of Duty has become that rare entertainment franchise that transcends its own genre. Core gamers love it, as our stellar reviews show. But every year, new people are drawn into Call of Duty," User Metacritic Score is 2.1 ....http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/call-of-duty-modern-warfare-3... So this let me kown that those reviewers are some kind of lickers...

XZaapryca

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2009
Until the last four years or so, a top notch gaming sequel in the PC world was released to take advantage of the new technology that had come out since the last release. PC gamers generally didn't favor a game that looked the same as the previous title, unless there were DRAMATIC differences. However, now games are being developed for 360 and PS3, machines that have had their hardware virtually frozen in time for the last six to five years. At the time of their release, the gpu was over a year old and the cpu was laughable. BF3 and MW3 are brand new five year old games. There's very little difference between the console and PC versions of the same game. Jesus, you can't even LEAN like you could in COD:MW. The saddest and funniest thing about the whole situation is that console fanboys and people newer to PC gaming don't even know how bad they have it. Hardcore gamers have been gibbed...

Chef_Boyardee

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2006
What's the budget of MW3 compared to Avatar? I'd also like to know the ratio of people reaping the benefits vs people working on the project for pay. This could be our tie to call for better game budgets or smaller budgets for movies.

stingstang

Distinguished
May 11, 2009
When I ask my friends why they like MW3 instead of Battlefield, they never say why unless I press them for an answer, to which they reply, "The maps are too big!"
1. No, they aren't if you're looking for gameplay similar to CoD.
2. That's like saying your girlfriend likes sex too much.
3. If you're being allowed 64 freaking players, You're going to want a map big enough to support that many people wrecking havok!

dub452

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2011
Oh man, 2012 is coming...
Because 1 billion / 60$ = 16 millions people bought this game,
too much stupidity for 1 planet...

I bought COD1, 2, MW and MW2, there was no more dedicated servers in MW2,
that's when it started to fall, now the game that had been bought to an other level because of competitive PC harcore gamers left them on their ass,
I shall never buy from Call of Duty franchise again and (will) do everything to discourage people who want to buy it.
That is my mission.

STravis

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
[citation][nom]Luc2k[/nom]BF3 isn't the great PC FPS most people make it out to be, too many bad design choices. For now I chose neither.[/citation]

As someone who bought BF3, I concur... Glad I got it for $30 and not $60

zerghumper

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010
There are several things that make this comparison flawed:

1. MW3 used an established engine that was upgraded little (if at all for the new game).

2. Avatar on the other hand, saw James Cameron pioneering a new method of filming and the overall production took well over 10 years with hundreds of millions of dollars in investment and time. Say what you will, but they didn't just push this movie out.

3. MW3 on the other hand is the 16th call of duty game released in less than 10 years, and people say games like Halo are too numerous in sequels?

4. A movie ticket for a 3D movie costs between $10 - 18 dollars where I live. Assuming that's the high end, it's still nothing compared to $60 + tax, and plus the "COD Elite" subscription. If a million people buy a movie ticket, that's $18 million dollars, if a million people buy a game, that's 60 million dollars! See why you can't compare them?

/rant

In conclusion, MW3 brings nothing new to the table and only furthers the FPS
genre into the pit of mediocrity into which it's been slipping these last few years.

G

Average movie ticket price $15...Average game price $60 (not counting special editions). Time to create Avatar, 5 years. Time to create MWF3 under 1 year. MWF3 is CLEARLY the winner. /facepalm

DroKing

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010
*spits* where did that chunk in my mouth came from? ohh I must have gagged naturally without noticing it till it was too late.

lpedraja2002

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007
I hate these kind of news that compare two things that have nothing in common, so I'll make my own news announcement...

This just in, food sales surpass both Avatar and Modernwarfare 3 in just 1 minute, experts predict that sales will only keep going up in the next seconds.

On current news, food just surpassed previous food sales! Food is the most successful product ever sold in history.

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
Activision has one crazy success story on their hands. I didn't expect MW3 to do that well. There has been a ton of advertising for the game though. It's like the GTA of military games. They definitely have this minimal effort, maximum payoff thing down to a science.

[citation][nom]Lyden[/nom]Shows how many people have it all wrong. BF3 is where it's at.[/citation]EA's servers have been down today, again. I really don't know how you can possibly stand up for BF3 given how great MW3's launch has been in comparison. EA still doesn't have its act together.

DroKing

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010
[citation][nom]bigdragon[/nom]Activision has one crazy success story on their hands. I didn't expect MW3 to do that well. There has been a ton of advertising for the game though. It's like the GTA of military games. They definitely have this minimal effort, maximum payoff thing down to a science.EA's servers have been down today, again. I really don't know how you can possibly stand up for BF3 given how great MW3's launch has been in comparison. EA still doesn't have its act together.[/citation]

Gee Dragon.. its easier to make a game run flawlessly when they have been using a same engine ever since mw1... your point is mootless.

wydileie

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
[citation][nom]bigdragon[/nom]Activision has one crazy success story on their hands. I didn't expect MW3 to do that well. There has been a ton of advertising for the game though. It's like the GTA of military games. They definitely have this minimal effort, maximum payoff thing down to a science.EA's servers have been down today, again. I really don't know how you can possibly stand up for BF3 given how great MW3's launch has been in comparison. EA still doesn't have its act together.[/citation]

The minimum effort to maximum payoff has to go to EA for the Madden series. They update the engine for each new console, and then rehash the same game with slight improvements, updated rosters, and sometimes even taking away stuff to reintroduce it the next year.

That being said, this really disappoints me to see this news. It does nothing but encourage lazy game developers and keeps great games from being made. You play for the multiplayer and not the single player? Cool, but just realize that took the devs and designers probably all of a couple months and a couple million dollar budget to produce, meanwhile, you take it up the *** paying $60 for a game that should cost $10 because it is the same game as last year. I just can't wait until next year when the Xbox 720 comes out and we are paying $70 dollars for this same game with an updated engine for the next 6 years.

dub452

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2011
[citation][nom]Raidur[/nom]Enjoy your $60 patch+DLC. I just got mine for free today on BF3.[/citation]

WOW SO TRUE ^^

Cash091

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2009
I sell cars and I made $50,000 this year WAAAAAAAAAAY faster than the guy selling apples down the street! Where is the record for that?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.