Mom Arrested for Hacking School Computer, Changing Grades

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kcorp2003

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
[citation][nom]alextheblue[/nom]Agreed. The ultimate crooks run our government.I believe your English GPA could have been better too.[/citation]

this is the internet. a forum. geez. relax.

HDmac

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2008
"Hacking" does not count when some mom logs in with her old credentials that the network administrator forgot to delete. $100 says that's exactly what happened.

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
[citation][nom]fhswefsdf[/nom]"one from an "F" to an "M""Wouldn't an "M" be worse than a "F"?[/citation]
I'd like to change my grade to "MF". That would be epic.

G

Bad crooks work for school, but the best crooks work for Washington and wall street!

leeashton

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
[citation][nom]10tacle[/nom]And the crooked cronied politicians in Washington on both sides of the isle make "Wall Street" look like a church choir. Not to mention that even Wall Street has laws, regulations, and checks and balances to adhere to, unlike our out of control government that has to answer to nobody and has unlimited revenue (taxpayers). What the hell company would still be around if it didn't have a freaking budget to adhere to after three years? Congress hasn't passed a budget in over three years. I get so sick and tired of hearing people whine about "Wall Street" and "big banks" and "greedy corporations" all the while ignoring the giant elephant that they have to answer to and pay taxes to. (I have yet to have "Wall Street" steal from me).[/citation]
They already did steal from you, you just need to think a little harder to figure this out, if you can think at all!

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]southernshark[/nom]Are six felonies really justified for this?99.99 percent of the crooks on Wall Street have never been issued a ticket and never will be. But the cops destroy this woman...........[/citation]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKgLwryqVkM#t=6m59s
god bless america, land of the free

[citation][nom]10tacle[/nom]And the crooked cronied politicians in Washington on both sides of the isle make "Wall Street" look like a church choir. Not to mention that even Wall Street has laws, regulations, and checks and balances to adhere to, unlike our out of control government that has to answer to nobody and has unlimited revenue (taxpayers). What the hell company would still be around if it didn't have a freaking budget to adhere to after three years? Congress hasn't passed a budget in over three years. I get so sick and tired of hearing people whine about "Wall Street" and "big banks" and "greedy corporations" all the while ignoring the giant elephant that they have to answer to and pay taxes to. (I have yet to have "Wall Street" steal from me).[/citation]

yea... and when they dont like those checks and balances, they lobby till they are gone. how do you think some of the rescission happened? people gambled on debt with worse odds of a return than betting green in rullet.

[citation][nom]CDdude55[/nom]Just when i thought the school systems couldn't confuse the grading metric anymore, they're now giving out "M"s.[/citation]

an M is probably just missing, not failure out right. in many grading software, an M counts as just above or just below the failure line.

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
The banks aren't crooks, that's leftwinger speak. You voluntarily gave them your money... Oh, and the government gave them the free reign and pushed them to create the housing bubble...

But I'm wasting my typing skills about this because most people have already made up their mind on this and will dilligently support whatever side they like, while also willing to lay down their lives for whomever has a D or an R after their name >_>

Meanwhile, the system that has been built for the past 60 or so years is the cause of most of the problems, and will eventually come crashing down no matter who the clowns are in office... It is a mathematical certainty....

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
How about looking at the schools IT security procedures (if there are any)? A whole YEAR after she quit and it would not be surprising if she still had an active account or used a colleagues who still had the same login/password after all that time. Perhaps the school should be fined as well!

anti-painkilla

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2011
[citation][nom]jhansonxi[/nom]This xkcd comic seems appropriate:http://xkcd.com/327/[/citation]

That was my first thought when I read the title. Love XKCD.

of the way

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2010
[citation][nom]rantoc[/nom]How about looking at the schools IT security procedures (if there are any)? A whole YEAR after she quit and it would not be surprising if she still had an active account or used a colleagues who still had the same login/password after all that time. Perhaps the school should be fined as well![/citation]

Yup. I spent 3 months substituting for a computer "assistant". Their admin account password had never been changed (I was told the story of how it got to be what it was - mainly they were looking at an object at the time and added 09 to the name of the object), and I'm fairly certain a small thing like the end of my employment wouldn't cause them to change it. And I disabled my own account because I didn't think they would ever disable it.

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
[citation][nom]memadmax[/nom]The banks aren't crooks, that's leftwinger speak [/citation]

Acting as if we're in some kind of Red vs Blue civil war is idiot speak. It isn't the corporations or the government, it's both. They protect each other. The feds get lobby bribes and the corporations get free reign. The corporate owned media then fans the flames between left and right so the two hands work against each other instead of in unison. The people still have the same powers they used to, they're just too busy swatting at invisible enemies to fight the real enemy that created them. People are easily manipulated when you keep them angry, afraid, and confused.

amigafan

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2011
The Hacker mom was employed by the Northwestern Lehigh School District from 2008 through April 2011, according to ABC News
She didn't really hack anything, it's just that the school didn't bother to change the password (which she knew since she worked there) after she was no longer employed there.

del35

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
Hardly surprising when you consider how dumb so many of the people running network security for schools are. These are the same people that are encouraging schools to embrace jailyouin hardware like the iPad.

anti-painkilla

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2011
[citation][nom]del35[/nom]Hardly surprising when you consider how dumb so many of the people running network security for schools are. These are the same people that are encouraging schools to embrace jailyouin hardware like the iPad.[/citation]

That is hardly the fault of the 'IT' staff. For a lot of schools there simply isn't the money to pay for a network admin, or the deciders can't see why it is needed. Teachers get pushed into these roles that they are just unable to cope with. I work in IT at a school, I hear stories from other schools just how bad it is, here in NZ and abroad.

anti-painkilla

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2011
[citation][nom]anti-painkilla[/nom]That is hardly the fault of the 'IT' staff. For a lot of schools there simply isn't the money to pay for a network admin, or the deciders can't see why it is needed. Teachers get pushed into these roles that they are just unable to cope with. I work in IT at a school, I hear stories from other schools just how bad it is, here in NZ and abroad.[/citation]

Cant edit... I mean the fault of the IT staff being 'dumb', but yes the passwords should be changed regularly to avoid this happening. Reread it and needed to clarify, should double check before I post, too used to the edit on the forums. =P

Status
Not open for further replies.