Most common ways computers are infected from virus

acuben

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012
First of all, I don't know if I posted on the right section. I hope I did.

I was wondering what are the common methods virus uses to infect a computer? I'm mostly concerned about keylogging software due to online banking.

Can I safely assume that most of the virus are obtained from java and flash? [edit i mean javascript]
Does this mean that even if I don't have strong antivirus software, I'm pretty much safe if I disable java and flash? [edit javascript] (or use some type of browser that only have text, picure, and video?)...although I think video is flash as well x)

I also heard that some smart virus will infect external harddrive/flash drive that will infect other PC it's connected, but I suppose you can prevent it's auto run features?

Solution
Viruses from the following:

1. Questionable websites

2. Public places like coffee shops

3. Opening email attachments (even from people you know).

Protect by having a firewall, strong passwords, encryption.

Never insert an unknown flash drive into any USB port.

Some have a dedicated computer just for banking.
Viruses from the following:

1. Questionable websites

2. Public places like coffee shops

3. Opening email attachments (even from people you know).

Protect by having a firewall, strong passwords, encryption.

Never insert an unknown flash drive into any USB port.

Some have a dedicated computer just for banking.

Solution
G

If you are just curious to how it happens, I can't help you. But if you want to protect yourself from viruses then look into using avast!. avast! is a great program and like most antivirus there are different packages you can buy. And if you don't want all the fancy stuff on, say, Internet Security, but the free version isn't enough, you can choose what features from Internet Security you want to have. (At a lower price of course). Hope this helps.

UPDATE
When I say I can't help you with how it happens, I mean that I don't know much in the area of online banking and key logging. The only key logging program I know of is one that you download to a USB and then put the USB in the target PC. I suppose an autorun could be triggered in download when you download something else. So for example, if you download Chrome browser the virus could be hidden in there, and triggered to run when you click download. If you get avast! (even the free version) it will alert you when a virus tries to access your PC and cut it off. It doesn't act once the file is on your PC. It acts way before that. Hope I've helped.

acuben

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012
well i'm learning.
I didn't know using internet at public places can get me vulnerable and I didn't know you can get virus from attachments from people I know...

I was using norton at one point...and should I say too much security? (with their firewall and stuff, I don't know it's been a while), but then I suppose I should go over all those burdensome tasks/setups if I really want security.

As for getting virus from website, are all virus from java and flash?

G

Not all viruses on websites come from Java and/or Flash. I'm sure they can be embedded in the HTML. There is a virus called RAT, that's a Remote Control Trojan. If you don't know what a trojan is, Google it. :p

The virus can get into your laptop in various ways, WiFi connection, eMail, websites (sometimes hidden in ads as a link to another site, probably a trusted one like facebook or twitter or Amazon), games (most likely run by Java or UNITY), and any other inside route to your laptop like USB's and CD/DVD's.

randomizer

Distinguished
The HTML won't contain malicious code since HTML can't do anything. It's a markup language, not a programming language.

Malicious code may be embedded within some JavaScript (not the same as Java). Generally there won't be viruses written in JavaScript since JavaScript runs in a sandboxed environment and has little ability to touch your system, but it will be used to retrieve some other payload. For example, it may start a download when you visit a site. It may also talk to a browser plugin like Java or Flash via their JavaScript interfaces and exploit a vulnerability in those plugins (plugins do not run in the same sandbox and so can be vectors for remote system takeover).

G

On outlook mail there is a junk button so you can mark an eMail as a Phishing Scam or just something you don't want. There's also an option to report that "My Friend's Been Hacked!". So if your friends don't have antivirus and the obtain a virus, it can manifest itself in eMails that they send. The virus is then activated on your PC when either you open the eMail or an attachment.

G

Thanks. I thought it would be a possibility, but I don't know much about HTML. I'm a JavaScript guy.

acuben

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012

that was extremely helpful. thanks

A known friend's computer or email could be hacked and fake emails with attachments may be sent to everyone in the address book. Your friend may not know that there is malicious code embedded, and may not even be aware of such emails being sent to people in their address book. Here lies the problem..

Do not open such emails unless your friend calls you ahead of time regarding the email, and you are expecting it.

I tend to stay away from chain letters too.