Moto E4 Review: Decent Budget Phone Has One Huge Flaw

sfootie

Estimable
May 31, 2015
Few comments of constructive criticism:

1) Other online reviews mark the battery life as good, and that really depends on usage.
2) Criticising it for 'gaming' performance - this is not a phone designed to run the best Android games, it's a cheap smartphone with loads of good features for people that need to run Android, so of course it has not been designed with gaming in mind. I'd argue that the typical user of this phone would not look to be running the latest games on this given the specs and pricing, so I think marking it down so critically because of this isn't really fair.

Other than that - good review.

skshrews1

Prominent
Aug 29, 2017
Disagree with battery life complaints. My experience, without gaming, and routine use, is easily a day and sometimes 1 1/2 days.

Jun 16, 2018
battery explodes Motorola e4 very dangerous junk caused 3500.00 in damages to my home the the g6 is cheap and will break no matter how careful you are with a protective case over it junk products I bought both phones in a 2 week time span I had the old Motorola e 3 years old and did not have any problems the new stuff is all junk

sonali456

Great
May 9, 2018
The Moto E4 Plus is one of the best budget smartphone. It’s heavy and fitted with a massive battery that will last you days, and can handle any scenario to a certain extent. But if you’re looking for excitement or innovation, look elsewhere.

mjrtom

Estimable
Jul 3, 2018
Please keep in mind that if you review a Verizon device, that means its CDMA.
CDMA is known to have a shorter battery life than GSM devices.
Also CDMA is unable to support similtaneous voice/data, which GSM does standard.

selden

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2012
Thank you BSAGREG. The headline is clickbait.

I bought an unlocked GSM Moto e4 ~6 weeks ago for $100 from Walmart. Battery life is better than expected (>24 hours on standby). The camera is "OK" but I knew that going in. Voice quality on calls is better than expected. I don't play games on phones, and performance is excellent — better than either of my Android tablets.

The only problem I have had is that with a memory card installed (in order to offload as much as possible to external storage) it's unstable, and reboots frequently when it's not plugged in or in motion, such as on my body. This instability has been confirmed by Motorola support, and the "fix" is to remove the memory card.

It is using 8.83 gb of internal storage, and 3.93 external, for 12.75 gb total, so in theory it would still have sufficient free space if I removed the card. I'm going to watch space utilization before taking any action, as the instability is inconvenient, but not disruptive.

On average, I make 1-2 phone calls a week, so the Moto e4 far exceeds my basic requirements. For $100, I am satisfied.

Oct 21, 2018
I'm on my Fifth replacement for the same recurring problem with the MotoE4. Sound shuts off randomly--ringers, alarms. Need to reboot, reset, factory reset and the problem recurs no matter which model. I've begged them to send me an older phone or a newer model. 5!!! replacements---plus over 120 emails from them (their service department has troubles too), plus each time they replace they fail to put in FEDEX mailing information. Stay clear of Motorola. Trust the anonymous me.