Motorola Blocks Unofficial Froyo ROM for DROID X

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

figgus

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2010
If you've got a DROID X and were hoping to upgrade to Froyo before the over the air update hit, you've got another think coming.

thing*

It's my day to pick at nits, it seems.

figgus

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2010
[citation][nom]partofthepuzzle[/nom]IAC, I don't really see why Motorola would want to alienate the Android hacker community. These are the users that are the most dedicated and the modifications that they provide are often not forthcoming from the phone vendors and they serve to keep the users on the platform! Enthusiasts with modified ROMS are walking advertisements for Motorola, HTC, etc. al. These manufacturers are much too paranoid about this whole issue.[/citation]

Not Motorola at all, actually. It's Verizon, putting the screws to Motorola to gimp their phones so Verizon can save their cash cow of upcharging for basic functionality (like tethering). It's the same reason Google never brought the Nexus1 to Verizon, because Google didn't want to gimp their showcase phone for the Android OS.

quantum mask

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2009
Actually, from the letter it looks like the only thing they're crying about is APK for the keyboard, not the whole ROM. Android is an open OS, they can't sue anyone for modifying it. The keyboard APK however is a different story. This news is not as bad as they're making it out to be. There are 100s of free alternate keyboards to use that are probably better than the stock one anyway.

NapoleonDK

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
[citation][nom]JMcEntegart[/nom]I think I found the droid you guys were looking for!/fixed.[/citation]
Who here thinks Jane wrote the article with the wrong picture JUST SO SHE COULD SAY THAT IN THE COMMENTS!!!

zaznet

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
[citation][nom]quantum mask[/nom]it looks like the only thing they're crying about is APK for the keyboard[/citation]

You got it exactly right but since it is included in the image they can ask for the entire thing to be taken down. Remove the offending part and redistribute and it will have some problems working. They have other reasons to take it down too I'm sure so you would likely find yourself in the same hot seat if you did get a different keyboard package included.

G

As far as a I can tell, the Droid X is the last phone slated to get Froyo. I'm still waiting. If Motorola really wants everyone to "cease and desist" they should just push the update, you know, now.

Status
Not open for further replies.