Motorola Revises its Android Upgrade Roadmap

Status
Not open for further replies.

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
moto, u can do better than that.
Froyo will be a year old by the time it reaches half of your devices.
maybe they need to figure out what to block in the new releases, like tethering or something.

jeraldjunkmail

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2009
Simple answer: Trim the product line, base it all on the same hardware, and converge development teams. If their fit and finish wasn't so rock solid I would have bought something different. But my phone has a xenon flash and an amazing camera, so I bought it.

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
what they need to do is unlock their bootloader, so any dev can install Froyo on their device, if they want. That's how an unlocked phone like N1 has so many ROMs out there, all Froyo-based, that people can select and enjoy.
Android is an openOS, needs to be released and applied like that on moto devices. And what do they do instead? They hardwire the phone, so it can not be unlocked.
Not too smart. Of course, the most talented people that can make an excellent ROM do not work for Moto, they work for themselves, and they will always choose a device that's not designed to impede their creativity.
Net result? Whereas other devices can enjoy custom-made ROMs if their owners choose so, MOTO handsets are mostly locked in whatever state MOTO decides to leave them. Hence, the delays.
Im not saying the hardware is not good, I'm saying that this Apple-like mentality is not what people are after. Not in an Android device.
/rant

adikos

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2010
i was shocked to have gotten the update on my droid in the first wave of updates, on the way to work. my wife's droid took nearly a week later to get it. its isnt a great rollout, but i work tech support and know what a serious support nightmare update rollouts can be. consider that despite all the testing you can do, someone, somewhere, will #$%^ things up to no end and manage something testing could never have duplicated. staggering updates is a fair way to rollout something like this.

im enjoying it so far on the droid. they made the desktops easier to use with the dots, and its bigger now i believe. i havent noticed any performance benefits otherwise. the biggest thing for me is the docking mode changes. the streamlined the main time/date, temp page. its dimmer than it was when brite and its much darker when dimmed. in addition the screensaver in dock mode has a cool nite light green time which is pretty cool imho. my wife was envious of my droid when docked (we have PCs next to each other in our office). tee-hee.

BulkZerker

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
And that's why you offer a downloadable EXE to put on the SD card. Takes strain off the networks trying to roll it out. That's why their takign so long is because hoenstly, all the droid OS phones in used currently got the OS the same day and everyone starts downloading it? I could imagine all the bricked phones they'd have to fix becuase of networks failing under the strain.

pug_s

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2003
I have an motorola cliq XT and I am stuck on android 1.5. Yes 1.5. Motorola kept delaying android 2.1 and now they are delaying it again. Seriously, they should disclose information of how to unlock their bootloader so we can put cyanogen or something like that.

Ragnar-Kon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
[citation][nom]jeraldjunkmail[/nom]Simple answer: Trim the product line, base it all on the same hardware, and converge development teams.[/citation]
Exactly... which is one of the few (and I mean FEW) things Apple does right in the phone market.

G

@jeraldjunkmail How many handsets have Froyo? Well, the only one that I care about is my HTC Desire, which is running Android 2.2 as we speak. Motorola may not be the slowest to roll out Android updates (lol S-E) but they're by no means quick at this.

zjuice

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2009
I bought my wife the Cliq. It is the last Moto I will buy because of the lack of support. I believe it is still on 1.5 and with 4 updates behind my nexus one which 2.2 has been out for a couple months now. Where is the support Motorola. I am done with you as a company.

jeraldjunkmail

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2009
Sony Ericson still makes phones? Lol. I owned one once. What an overpriced POS THAT was. Never again, which is why I am surprised to hear they are still in business...

jeraldjunkmail

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2009
An interesting fact: Motorola is hiring SCADS of developers and engineers, and has been doing so for a few months now. My information is a few months old though. That would explain the slow rollouts?

Status
Not open for further replies.