Moving from desktop to laptop?

cheese9k

Honorable
Jan 7, 2013
Recently I've been debating with myself about making the switch from a desktop to a laptop. The performance difference is a lot more feasible than it was 3/4 years ago when I initially built my current rig, especially with the 970m/980m.

My current specs are:
i5 3570k
Asus ROG Maximus Formula V
R9 290
16GB RAM.

Budget: £1000 plus whatever I can get for my machine. Kinda hoping min £400, but who knows.
(that's about 2200 USD total). I can go over budget, that's not an issue, I'd just rather not lol.

My problem here is RAM. I need a lot (I run multiple VM's and servers for troubleshooting different things at different times, so I'm pretty much using 15.9 gigs of RAM constantly, and it's not enough anymore) I do also believe that the added portability of a laptop would help with my work (though I could just be telling myself that to justify it a bit more ehehehehe). So I'd need something that was expandable to 32GBs+

I'm not really all THAT bothered about HUGE gaming performance at 1000+ FPS, as I don't really play demanding games (Diablo 3 and source engine games).

Would it be a good idea to stick it out for another couple of months and wait for the Broadwell/Skylake mobile quadcores to become more mainstream? I don't have to upgrade right away, I'm fine with waiting 6 months or so and finding something more suited to me.

I'd like some suggestions of laptops that could provide me with this sort of performance. Not bothered about aesthetics/power consumption/battery life (as long as it lasts at least 30 minutes, I'm good).

Thanks for all your help!

EDIT: I'd like to just add that I'd be looking for something 15.6" or smaller.

cheese9k

Honorable
Jan 7, 2013

Yeah, I was thinking about this. Could you recommend some brands/places to look for them or is it just a case of having a look round.

Thanks for your help :)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
AndrewMak Laptop General Discussion 2
Himel5551 Laptop General Discussion 2
C Laptop General Discussion 2
D Laptop General Discussion 3
R Laptop General Discussion 2
K Laptop General Discussion 1
C Laptop General Discussion 4
N Laptop General Discussion 1
S Laptop General Discussion 1
M Laptop General Discussion 10