Moving from desktop to laptop?

cheese9k

Honorable
Jan 7, 2013
Recently I've been debating with myself about making the switch from a desktop to a laptop. The performance difference is a lot more feasible than it was 3/4 years ago when I initially built my current rig, especially with the 970m/980m.

My current specs are:
i5 3570k
Asus ROG Maximus Formula V
R9 290
16GB RAM.

Budget: £1000 plus whatever I can get for my machine. Kinda hoping min £400, but who knows.
(that's about 2200 USD total). I can go over budget, that's not an issue, I'd just rather not lol.

My problem here is RAM. I need a lot (I run multiple VM's and servers for troubleshooting different things at different times, so I'm pretty much using 15.9 gigs of RAM constantly, and it's not enough anymore) I do also believe that the added portability of a laptop would help with my work (though I could just be telling myself that to justify it a bit more ehehehehe). So I'd need something that was expandable to 32GBs+

I'm not really all THAT bothered about HUGE gaming performance at 1000+ FPS, as I don't really play demanding games (Diablo 3 and source engine games).

Would it be a good idea to stick it out for another couple of months and wait for the Broadwell/Skylake mobile quadcores to become more mainstream? I don't have to upgrade right away, I'm fine with waiting 6 months or so and finding something more suited to me.

I'd like some suggestions of laptops that could provide me with this sort of performance. Not bothered about aesthetics/power consumption/battery life (as long as it lasts at least 30 minutes, I'm good).

Thanks for all your help!

EDIT: I'd like to just add that I'd be looking for something 15.6" or smaller.

Solution
I would purchase a barebone laptop as they are highly customisable and generally cheaper than branded laptops. This should allow you to choose the exact components depending on how much power you need.

cheese9k

Honorable
Jan 7, 2013

Yeah, I was thinking about this. Could you recommend some brands/places to look for them or is it just a case of having a look round.

Thanks for your help :)