Moving to SD card on 16GG Samsung Galaxy S5

Kenneth_44

Commendable
Oct 23, 2016
I have a Samsung Galaxy S5 with 16GB on board memory and I bought a 16GB SD card and can't figure out how to move anything other than pictures,songs,and videos over to it. How do I move my apps? Everything I look at says to go to application manager and then downloaded but I don't seem to have that option on my application manager. Help please???

Well, it is going to depend on two things. One if your phone is running, or can be upgraded to, Android "Marshmallow" and two, if the manufacturer has restricted the option on that phone. Which sadly does happen. If you are running, or can get, "Marshmallow" then you can try the following.

How to turn external SD card into internal storage on "Marshmallow".

NOTE: Please be sure you start with a blank SD card. It needs to be blank because when the card is converted to "Internal" storage, it will be formatted (wiped) and encoded (making the cards data only readable by that device).

1. Go to device “Settings”, then select “Storage”.
2. Select your "SD Card", then tap the “three-dot menu“ (top-right), now select “Settings” from in there.
3. Now select “Format as internal”, and then “Erase & Format”.
4. Your SD Card will now be formatted as internal storage.
5. Reboot your phone.

NOTE: If you don't reboot the phone, many things may not work correctly, so make sure you do.

Rainey

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2010

I just got a new Network unlocked, factory reset, S6 phone with Marshmallow 6.0.1 and had it activated from Total wireless.
I added a SD card and it shows up as external storage.

Sadly i tried what you listed above and i have no "Three dots menu" So it looks like my provider or loaded phone image has restricted that feature.

So do i have any other options, like rooting the phone.
Can i even root a Marshmallow 6.0.1 S6 phone?