Mozilla: IE9 is NOT a Modern Browser

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

the guy has a point. IE9 is an improvement over IE8, but it still lacks many features.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Microsoft's goal with IE's 2-7 was to take control over the internet using their own HTML "standards" and ActiveX. They got rid of Netscape and the AOL browser, but, safe to say, they failed. Now they've got 10 years worth of catchup to do, so its no wonder they aren't instantly at the level of their competitors.

We may never see a 100% HTML5 compliant browser, simply because they keep changing HTML5 too much (and in some cases it's still too generic: video tags can use whatever codec they want, making the video tag itself useless). But when they released IE8, Microsoft still had the gaul to say compliance was not their main goal. I'm not sure how you can call something a browser if its NOT complaint. It's just software that happens to connect to the internet, kinda like how you can get radio signals on your tooth fillings, but it doesn't make your dentist a ham-radio operator.

jsheridan

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2010
IE9 did better on tests that Microsoft recommends and Firefox does better on test that Mozilla recommends...... imagine that. Chrome is moving up, IE is moving down and Firefox is staying consistent in usage rankings, I think the users are showing which products they like better by which ones are being used more. After all people don't keep going back to the same restaurant if the food tastes bad. IE is number one so it must be doing something right.

G

Yeah it comes with every windows installation...

My mother used IE 'till I installed firefox on her pc a year or two ago.
If I hadn't she'd still be using ie, as do 99 percent of casual joe's whose pc knowledge is limited to facebook, email, msn and youtube and some crude google searching.

Using tabs and being able to drag her favorite bookmarks to the bar at the top blew her mind after coming from ie lol...
So even a novice can appreciate a different and better browser, too bad most don't even realise that there is a better alternative.

aevm

Distinguished
May 18, 2007
Kudos to FireFox for supporting more of the standard than IE does.

However, as a Web developer, I have to be very careful to use only the lowest common denominator, so that my product works for people who use IE as well as for people who use FireFox. Too bad about FireFox's extra features - I have to be very careful NOT to use them. :(

theshonen8899

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
We need someone to chime in and say Firefox is two years too late. No, really, all of Firefox 4's design changes were ripped straight out of Opera.

nottheking

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006
This is not surprising at all... To follow up on what a couple others have already commented on, any browser to claim it's become the true cutting-edge is laughable if it's not Opera, since virtually every single boasted-about feature to appear in other major browsers (be it FireFox, Chrome, I.E, or Safari) all appeared in Opera first. Tabs? Opera had 'em in 2000, before Firefox in 2002. Instanced tabs that Google hired a comic artist to brag about for Chrome? Opera had 'em first too. Ditto with being able to resume a closed or crashed session, or tab. Heck, it appears that Chrome and FireFox STILL don't have MDI tab support (letting you reduce tabs to have multiple displayed at once) something Opera's had for years. And Opera remains vastly faster than Firefox, Safari, OR IE, with only Chrome really able to keep up. (and Opera blows Chrome away at Javascript, too)

jimmysmitty

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2007
Wow. I think that FF feels a tad threatened. If you run your own tests on the very ones that FF use (such as javascript or the speed tests, IE9 beats FF3.6 and 4 Beta. I tested them all.

And I don't understand this "the W3C tests are no good". They develop the standard, right? Then they should be able to tell you what browser runs good.

alextheblue

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
[citation][nom]fehfehfehfeh[/nom]Using tabs and being able to drag her favorite bookmarks to the bar at the top blew her mind after coming from ie lol...So even a novice can appreciate a different and better browser, too bad most don't even realise that there is a better alternative.[/citation]IE can do that also. Since forever ago. I swear the majority of Firefox fans I run into say "it's better, it's better", but they never have anything concrete or else they regurgitate things they were told by some random internet personality.

The only people that I talk to that seem to have concrete reasons to use Firefox or Chrome are nerds like myself, and I like them since they have actual reasons and engage in intelligent discourse. Well, most of them. Some just hate MS with a passion because... well nobody really knows. Maybe they're standing in the way of Linux domination. *snort*

bhaberle

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2008
Just what we need, another loudmouth at Mozilla. It makes sense that Mozilla would mention positive things about Mozilla and negative things about IE. Skewed and biased...but it is true that IE is still behind... even with the new release. Microsoft will play catchup though, as it is with its phone OS

f-14

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
that's nice but i would rather have heard it from another sourse who isn't already a year late with firefox4 which is still in beta and apparently has another month to go with testing if it's finished tomorrow, which it's not as it still has about 2 weeks worth of bugs and a big issue with flash not working.
he is right and i love firefox, but the green eyed monster reared it's uglyhead in attempt to save market share justbecause IE9 is done.

Wish I Was Wealthy

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
Could be true what Mozilla said about IE9...Do not forget that the original team of Mozilla made the original IE for microsoft,so their sources would be from a fairly efficient source...

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
Opera still scores the HIGHEST in almost all tests.

Tomshardware themselves have compared all the browsers. Use the search box at the top to locate the article.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS