Mozilla Urging Developers to Build Apps For Firefox OS

Status
Not open for further replies.

cosmic101

Honorable
Oct 9, 2012
They can't even get a 64bit browser, organized and out into the market. I have very little faith in this endeavor.

rb420

Distinguished
May 25, 2011
[citation][nom]cosmic101[/nom]They can't even get a 64bit browser, organized and out into the market. I have very little faith in this endeavor.[/citation]

Waterfox

G

Waterfox isn't even made made by Mozilla.
Mozilla releases the source code for Firefox, and some developers modify it to make Waterfox.

Also what's all this bashing? I thought that you all wanted competition?

btdude6

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
I seriously don`t get all this bashing in here. Is it leftover hate because of "discontinuing" 64-bit Nightly?

somebodyspecial

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012
As flash dies and HTML5 is becoming the "next thing", free makes a lot of sense to a lot of people. There isn't a huge amount of difference between chrome the OS and the Browser. At the very least it has a great chance on cheapo models of X (phone, tablet, fridge etc etc). You really only need youtube & one other source (insert movie/tv provider, netflix, Amazon on Demand etc) and you cover all the TV etc entertainment, then you just need opengl/webgl support (maybe opencl) and you should be good to go on a lot of ports of games. They already have a good browser (the lack of great 64bit support so far doesn't hurt, unless someone can name some terrible thing that works great on chrome64/IE64 that can't be done on firefox), and simply quitting 32bit once 64bit is the only thing being sold will solve this issue with people thinking 64 is always better than 32.

Until games stop running on 32bit xp I think Mozilla has no worries and a good amount of time to get their 64bit going. Until you can't buy 32bit anything, they have enough time to get their 64bitness act together. We don't even have phones/tablets with more than 2gb of main memory yet. Hard to argue you need 64bit on your device other than a PC in some environments (obviously, but we're talking a web browser here right now, not crysis 3 or something). Most have no idea what 64bit gets them. I'd venture to guess most people wouldn't know the difference in a "pepsi vs. coke" (64b vs. 32b browser) test side by side. I'd guess only 10% would say that's definitely the 64bit version right there...LOL. Most would probably ask what they're supposed to be looking for, or just say both are the same "which one is the 64bit one?"...Heck adobe just got 64bit flash, and it's already dead as people start avoid flash and adobe doesn't even support it now on mobile. I'm not saying I wouldn't like EVERYTHING to be 64bit; just that it's actually NEEDED for very few things (mostly business apps) today. There are a crap load of people with 4GB or less memory still (unfortunately we can't just tell everyone, look pal, pony up $40 bucks for 8gb). For a lot of people 8-16GB support means a new board. I wish memory makers would just stop making 1-2GB modules and force the world to 16-32 (4x4GB, or 4x8GB) but I guess asking people for $70-75 is too much on a PC price (whatever).

IE, we have a little more time before we really need to complain about 64bit and browsers. Office 2010 is barely 64bit, with a lot of addons/extensions still being given up (last I checked) so all we really have is some pro apps and win7/server 2008/2012. I don't call win8 an OS :) You couldn't pay me to fingerprint up my gorgeous 24in monitors :) If you ask my nephew I'm sure he'll confirm, if you touch my screens I'll threaten your life ;) I don't even like touching my dad's nexus 10. I'm getting used to the smudges but I'd never EVER desire to touch my monitor or make a habit of leaning over my keyboard to do so, so why win8? Win9 next year? Are you kidding? I don't want to hear about another OS until 2015 (and that's not counting win8). I see no need for another UI change until you can explain why it's FASTER on the same hardware than win7 and requires something I can't do on a new version that will be quicker than the old. Win8 slows me down. I don't boot all day so I gain nothing from win8. Start menu in winXP was fine. I gained nothing but a new version of directX from win7 and you forced me to pay for a new windows explorer because the included one in win7 is such crap compared to winxp (no status on every folder etc?, every time I click a drive I should get a total free space in the status etc....same for folders). Why do I need XYplorer, total commander or Xplorer2? You didn't FIX this and many other explorer snafus in 8 either. Why do I need firefox/chrome? Because IE sucks so bad. An OS upgrade these days means an APP downgrade in many cases and the need to purchase something else to replace whatever they broke this time.

So no, I think we have a bit before we need to dog Firefox browser or OS and FREE apps. Anything free will go a long ways in this current windows world even vs. the ability for me to upgrade my current lics for $40 to win8. NO thank you MS. If this new OS has excellent WebGL/HTML5 (and I'd hope OpenGL for games or at least openCL) support bring it on. Whatever brings the death of DirectX and Flash I welcome. I'm not willing to keep paying MS for the next directX and thankfully win8's failure ensures DX11 will be around for a while and I don't see anything magical yet in 11.1 :) Devs will have to make a game dx11 compatible for the foreseeable future thank god. I sincerely hope win8's failure forces 11.1 to win7 soon (FULLY not this half features crap brought up last month due to win8 failure, we want IT ALL!).

http://obamapacman.com/2010/04/3d-fps-quake-2-engine-html5-port-adobe-flash-quake-in-fears/
Quake 2 ported to HTML 5 (webgl and javascript). A step behind today, but this was created with google's free time...LOL and this in 2010 hitting 30fps on laptops then. What can a REAL design team fully dedicated do today?

Google AVES game engine for some pretty cool pics of that engine. There are others that look promising too and this is just kicking off. The sooner Directx/flash die the better! Just google "html5 game engine", then click the images to see pics of different game engines. Linux/valve look to take a big bite out of DirectX soon also as Valve ports games as fast as they can to kill directX since they hate win8 :)

G

Google and Apple both think they own you and everything you do. An open source operating system that never tries to sell me something, keeps my data private, and gives me options to block ads and nosy apps might be very compelling.

Status
Not open for further replies.