MPAA Calls SOPA Blackout Day Dangerous and Irresponsible

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gtvr

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2009
Technically, he is a former Senator. He couldn't serve as MPAA president & be in congress at the same time.

codefuapprentice

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2010
Definately Pot calling the kettle black, they're willing to dish out censorship left right and center, but they oppose it if someone else does it in protest, IDIOTS!!

LORD_ORION

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2007
[citation][nom]unther[/nom]Google for me is fine, but wikipedia is blacked out. Maybe because I'm from Canada?[/citation]

From reading the Wikipedia entry on this event (lol) it seems the entire English version of the site is on Blackout.

wild9

Distinguished
May 20, 2007
Let me tell you what I think is "dangerous" and "irresponsible".. letting corporations dictate politics and law. You end up with things like the Obama administration, the Council on Foreign Relations, the offshore banking interests. These forces are so powerful they have the capacity to start wars at the drop of a hat, the capacity to drive economies into the ground, and force billions of people into starvation. They are capable of destroying much that our forefathers fought to protect, including our rights, our land, and our freedoms. They are the driving force behind Capitol Hill, they control what Obama says and what Obama does, not Obama and not the American people. Why do you think all signs are pointing to a war in the Middle East? Why do you thin illegal immigration is so rife in the US? Why do you think so many Americans are losing their rights? It's not by accident.

This cabal, this bast8rdised form of democracy, is behind it all. Everything. It does not happen by accident. They will use one thing (piracy) as a pretext to achieving something else, something far more sinister than looking after the interests of copyright holders.

"protect American jobs from foreign criminals"? Folks this is a family site, a global family. I could really say in all the gory detail just how utterly hypocritical a statement like that is, but I won't. I'll just say this: protecting American jobs from criminals also means protecting Americans from the enemy within.

video_master

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2009
When are we as a nation going to pull our heads out of our butts and finally do something about this travesty of a government that has been let to happen. We need to step up and get rid of all of these idiots in our government so we can get real people in there that will make our nation great again.

G

This A$$ Dodd was also neck deep in the whole Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac debacle. This guy is a walking, talking, dumpster fire. That is is now a hired thug for the MPAA is not a suprise.

msgun98

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2010
I loved the Dodd/Frank Bill to help re-regulate the financial system, but this is not the good fight for Chris Dodd. It's impossible to get someone to see the truth when their paycheck requires them not to.

spookyman

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2011
What amazes how many folks who complain refuse to use their political power and vote. Why do we only vote Democrat or Republican? Either party is the same evil 2 headed snake. Vote third party. It would send a message we are tired of both parties.

Another tactic some states use on governors now is recalling them. Any Senator or Representative that would vote for this should be recalled and replaced. recalling takes a grass roots approach and should be used liberally.

wild9

Distinguished
May 20, 2007
Shooting first and asking questions later is not the way to solve the issue.

Pity someone didn't say that before American lives were lost in Iraq. Not to mention the million plus dead civilians, and the millions still living in abject poverty. I think this administration is well versed in shooting first and asking questions later, why stop when it's so profitable for them? Why stop when it can achieve so many objectives? Without the Iraq war th US would have zero business being in that region, save for oil.

Seems that Congress does not really answer to the American people, more so it answers to offshore banking interests who have sailed this country - economically and socially - up the creek without a paddle. Worse, America is indebted to these interests for years to come. It's like trying to pay off a debt you can never pay off, no matter how much money you can print. Just about the only growth industry in the US is war, debt, and the often ruthless seizure of assets including land. That is, until there is NOTHING left to take.

Funny how wars always seem to start in dire economic times.

G

Wait a minute.... A Senator AND Chairman and CEO of the MPAA?? Umm.. conflict of interest much?

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
i really don't know what to say....like Eminem said once in a song..."WAKE UP AMERICA"...the days of freedom are ending....this is why we need to elect RON PAUL...if he was president this crap would never happen

katfishgr

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2011
To hell with the MPAA ... they reported record revenues for 2011! Piracy doesn't appear to be crippling them as much as they claim.

G

Censorship if fine with Washington, as long as they are controlling the switch.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
"The MPAA is slamming sites ...calling the protest an abuse of power."

Are these guys serious ?
How much longer until they realize that the old business model, where you shove a $25/12 song 'album' down a customer's wallet when all he wants is that one tune, is not working anymore.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]orgasmized labor[/nom]I think we just found the achille's heal of America's crooked government. This reeeeeeaaaaalllly seems to bother them.Imagine if all of the IT workers of America all formed a single labor union, and all agreed to strike on the same day if congress doesn't agree to outlaw lobbying, impose term limits, restore civil liberties, and quit spending trillions on pointless wars.[/citation]

pointless wars... not sure on that, and its hard to talk about it due to information being so skewed on both sides, and me in particular living in the united states.

though there is a "war" that may happen soon in mexico against the drug traffickers... i dont care about drugs but what these people do out side of that... the violence... that is something mexican cops and government cant handle.

[citation][nom]jescott418[/nom]What is unfortunate is that nobody follows the correct path of protesting anymore. If our Government tries to pass legislation we do not like we protest? Instead of trying to communicate with our Government officials on what is wrong. We act like little kids who seem to act out of spite then act with respect. We wonder why Government passes stupid on miss directed legislation but yet we fail to correctly address our concerns to them.[/citation]

because when we tried to act civil we got jack, and when we get mad we are treated as the wrong way to get things... tell us, do we need to pay politicians more than the lobbiests on every issue? we cant as some get payed more than 400k to shut up, or pass bad bills.

tell us the way to get through to our governments without an armed rebellion and we will consider it.

[citation][nom]edvinasm[/nom]Technology age and freedom of the word me arse. Sorry for my Irish.. Seems like politicians will do whatever they want unless it would anger the public to the point where everyone will march to throw them out. We'll be on 80s level in no time in terms of publicity and freedom of word.[/citation]

the moment you said irish, i started reading that with the accent and it made me lol, thanks for that.

[citation][nom]wild9[/nom]Let me tell you what I think is "dangerous" and "irresponsible".. letting corporations dictate politics and law. You end up with things like the Obama administration, the Council on Foreign Relations, the offshore banking interests. These forces are so powerful they have the capacity to start wars at the drop of a hat, the capacity to drive economies into the ground, and force billions of people into starvation. They are capable of destroying much that our forefathers fought to protect, including our rights, our land, and our freedoms. They are the driving force behind Capitol Hill, they control what Obama says and what Obama does, not Obama and not the American people. Why do you think all signs are pointing to a war in the Middle East? Why do you thin illegal immigration is so rife in the US? Why do you think so many Americans are losing their rights? It's not by accident.This cabal, this bast8rdised form of democracy, is behind it all. Everything. It does not happen by accident. They will use one thing (piracy) as a pretext to achieving something else, something far more sinister than looking after the interests of copyright holders."protect American jobs from foreign criminals"? Folks this is a family site, a global family. I could really say in all the gory detail just how utterly hypocritical a statement like that is, but I won't. I'll just say this: protecting American jobs from criminals also means protecting Americans from the enemy within.[/citation]

i dont agree with everything you posted, but the alot at the end was good.

[citation][nom]spookyman[/nom]What amazes how many folks who complain refuse to use their political power and vote. Why do we only vote Democrat or Republican? Either party is the same evil 2 headed snake. Vote third party. It would send a message we are tired of both parties.Another tactic some states use on governors now is recalling them. Any Senator or Representative that would vote for this should be recalled and replaced. recalling takes a grass roots approach and should be used liberally.[/citation]

how many people in a 3rd party are even relevant or even known? i say vote ron paul... not the best choice, but the best realistic one we can make.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

with all that said... look what happened to copyright law, and how it got extended to what, 160 years? nothing new will ever hit public domain in out lifetimes... look at that, and tell me censorship of the internet is a good thing.

eiskrystal

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
According to Senator Dodd, "technology business interests" are resorting to stunts that punish their users or turn them into corporate pawns rather than coming to the table to find solutions.

Yes, because we were all so well consulted and given solutions before this joke of a ruling was pushed down our throats.

A free internet needs protecting from the criminals wallowing in American power and money, not any foreign ones.

G

Those of you commenting that Dodd has a conflict of interest in this case deserve the shit government you have. I'm Canadian and even -I- know that Mr Dodd hasn't been a senator for a little while now. It's customary for those in government to be referred to by the title of the highest office they were elected to even after the leave service.

Maybe if you people actually paid attention to something other then American Idol, NASCAR and Handegg, the rest of the world wouldn't be saddled with the consequences of your ignorance.

face-plants

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
Congress is too slow, too politically divided and WAY too influenced by corporate dollars to write any legislation like SOPA without virtually destroying net neutrality. With their current approach, any bill with enough power to actually combat piracy will completely ruin the internet for legitimate users.

Just like the strictest DRM on software still gets cracked within days or weeks yet punishes many who legitimately bought it, SOPA in its current form will allow these morons to broadly block americans from websites of their choosing directly at their ISP's DNS server level. Those who are determined enough (or possibly just know how to use Google) will quickly set up proxies or tor relays or something else similiar and continue to pirate as they wish. Just like the strictest DRM, SOPA will punish many legitimate users while being a joke to the determined pirate.

I'm not condoning piracy nor will I say that anything P2P is immediately evil; my point is that the approaches taken so far to prevent piracy are a joke. Just like in the real world, some behaviors can't be ruled with an iron fist without a drastic effect on individual rights.

Status
Not open for further replies.