MPAA Calls SOPA Blackout Day Dangerous and Irresponsible

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

It's cute that he thinks hearing from his constituents is "punishment".

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
[citation][nom]fandroid[/nom]Easy solution to that. Legalize the drugs they're peddling. Takes away all their incentive if its already available in the USA legally at lower prices and it can be taxed. Once they can't make money from selling drugs they'll stop making drugs and stop getting money and they'll lose all their power.[/citation]

How about stopping to use this crap!
That will put an end to the growing and transporting too.
And it will lower our health care expenses. Drug addicts are expensive patients; are not covered by health insurance and YOU and I pay their medical bills !

keczapifrytki

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2008
"These sites include Destructoid, Facebook, Google, Mozilla, Reddit, Tuscows, Wikipedia, WordPress, XDA-Developers and many others"

From what I read, Facebook, unfortunately, is not participating in the blackout.

dgingeri

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
Well, I'm sure the MPAA knows where they can shove their opinion. I'm not letting them steal any more of my money, and I'm not letting them close down my favorite web sites.

Motopsychojdn

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2010
I don't quite see how not having acess to Wikipedia is dangerous and irresponsible, unless the US Government relies on it for knowledge in which case....

I had noticed the 103% drop in intellingence quotients online today though,
wiki go down, peepul get dum :p
Moto

anti-painkilla

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2011
[citation][nom]keczapifrytki[/nom]"These sites include Destructoid, Facebook, Google, Mozilla, Reddit, Tuscows, Wikipedia, WordPress, XDA-Developers and many others"From what I read, Facebook, unfortunately, is not participating in the blackout.[/citation]

Just went to facebook and nothing... No banners or blackouts. They really have an amazing opportunity to let the average person know about this, a blackout would be ridiculous, people would realise they dont need facebook. All the need is a slightly intrusive banner with a bit of information and a link for more information.

Being in NZ maybe is different, anything on FB from Americans?

elbert

Distinguished
The MPAA is really a Public Cartel with the theaters being their common sales agencies. IE price is fixed at the theater for their movies. Theaters near one another must bid to get new movies which reduces fierce competition. The movie company's all collude in the MPAA to have it enforce their will as a collective. Technically our government is in major default of enforcing the Sherman Antitrust Act in allow the movie company's to establish this one voice. With SOPA the MPAA will attempt to restrict market by forcing many youtube and alike company's off the internet. Most movies are restricted to few channels and change over time thus may constitute bid rotation where by taking turns on offering movies.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Content_cartel

People of the same trade seldom meet together but in the movie industry its just a big party for all those in the industry with awards. While I agree it seems to be "for merriment and diversion, but the conversation ends in a conspiracy against the public." Adam Smith

livebriand

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
I fully support these blackouts. SOPA and PIPA are extremely dangerous, and will fail to stop piracy (notice how those anti-piracy things always piss off users who play by the rules, but fail to stop pirates?).

stevo777

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2008
In my opinion, there haven't been any good movies in a long time anyway, so why don't we all organize a boycott of the movie theater for a few weeks. If no one shows up to the theaters, the MPAA will cry like babies.

nottheking

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006
Too bad Chris Dodd's out of office on his own choice, (he opted not to run for re-election in 2010) as it would've been satisfying to see a campaign mounted to remove him from office. Though I think Congress got a bit better there: Dodd decided to step down after loads of controversy, and questions he may have been in the pocket of big businesses.

And guess what we've just seen? He's guilty as charged, every bit a corrupt shill as we dreaded. Also, we saw how much the MPAA is a dinosaur that needs to be rendered irrelevant, but we already knew that.
[citation][nom]LLJones[/nom]I swear that people who become politicians are, for the vast majority, a different species. They may look and talk like humans, but there is no way they are. OK maybe a different race.[/citation]
Well, think on it... A politician has to spend a lot of their time trying to get elected, then ensure they get RE-elected, or at least stave off a recall election. then they have to deal with a base that, no matter where they live, has contradicting viewpoints, including tons of idiotic, blind, single-issue voters. And no matter what they do, they'll always have some late-night comedian making them the butt of jokes, some lobby pressing for their removal, others pressuring them from all sides, paparazzi looking to snag a scoop of them doing something embarrassing, and it won't end.

Would YOU want to be a politician? It's the irony here: there's certainly plenty of decent people who'd be able to make good, level-headed politicians were they in office. And virtually none of them actually would want to BE one.

[citation][nom]anony9049[/nom]Wait a minute.... A Senator AND Chairman and CEO of the MPAA?? Umm.. conflict of interest much?[/citation]
The article's off: he stopped being a Senator about 2 months before he became head of the MPAA. He declined to run for re-election for his seat from Connecticut in 2010, and was replaced by Richard Blumenthal, another Democrat.

Dodd only held one of those offices at once. But I wouldn't mind seeing him occupy neither.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
This legislation will not prevent piracy, they will continue to use torrent sites or similar and in order to justify the ridiculous act being drafted at all they will haul people into court for filming a family picnic in the park, but because a passing car has the radio on and the windows down they will be guilty of not paying royalties to the artist.

Insanity, and by the way the whole "shoot first, ask questions later" thing is the way Americans have been doing things for 420 years, just ask the Indians, the slaves, the Mexicans and every nation they have ever been involved in a war with.

nottheking

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]Insanity, and by the way the whole "shoot first, ask questions later" thing is the way Americans have been doing things for 420 years, just ask the Indians, the slaves, the Mexicans and every nation they have ever been involved in a war with.[/citation]
Funny that, the United States has only existed for about 235 years. Please don't turn this into an American-bashing tirade. Remember that many of the great entrepreneurs that are speaking OUT against SOPA most are, in fact, Americans themselves: Jimmy Wales, Mark Zuckerberg, and Larry Page are all American-born. (Sergey Brin is a Soviet-American who immigrated at age 6)

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
When these bills are written by Republicans and partially backed by Democrats, who the hell are you supposed to vote for? Time for more than 2 parties.

Status
Not open for further replies.