MPAA Kills Town's WiFi Over One Movie Download

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

trinix

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2007
That would be a way easier way to prevent future crimes. Don't know who it is, but I'll just get all the people and put them in jail. I mean they all are bound to eventually commit a crime, right?

And oh no, 1 movie. what will you do? Going back to it. MAKE GOOD MOVIES AND PEOPLE WILL BUY THEM. Stop making bad movies and blaming the less profit on the fact that people are pirating it.

I feel sorry for universities now. If they disconnect a county, why not close down every uni too? Not sure how it is in America, but I know the biggest seeders in the Netherlands are the students on uni-internet.

G

Punishing an entire community/group because of one of its members doing something wrong is also an offense. How many times shall MPAA get away with breaking the laws themselves?

Maybe its time for MPAA to begin adapting to the new way the world works and technology is used instead of defending its "rights" adapted in the early stoneage.

rocket_sauce

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2004
Couldn't this have been some generic person passing through town and/or staying in a hotel while there on business? Or maybe a hacker succeeded with a virus to Grandma's computer and was using that to download movies? The free internet isnt the problem here and the local gov't should have told them to piss off and investigate it themselves. Sad day indeed.

jabliese

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
[citation][nom]trinix[/nom]I feel sorry for universities now. If they disconnect a county, why not close down every uni too? Not sure how it is in America, but I know the biggest seeders in the Netherlands are the students on uni-internet.[/citation]

I'll guess Universities have access to more lawyers than Coshocton does, rest easy.

jellico

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
What needs to happen is the EFF needs to get behind someone (and this town seems like a perfect candidate) and take this crap all the way to the Supreme Court. Hopefully, they will come to realize that the DMCA is a heinous piece of legislation that is vague and over-reached, and rule that damn thing as unconstitutional.

I can appreciate that they want to mitigate the effect of piracy on their bottom line; but they are misusing the force fo law to compensate for their security short-comings rather than putting any real effort into solving the problems on their end.

TheKurrgan

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
I find it unlikely the RIAA/Sony FORCED the wireless to be turned off, but that some dickless politician made the call as a preemption of the legal mess. The IT "Director" needs to seriously examine Open Source applications, as this is too easy a task. Not even any fancy shit is needed. They need to fire the dude and hire a teenager, he'd do a better job.
Morons.
Next, taking away the free internet is NOT screwing with your first amendment rights. Go to fucking burger king (they have it free at least here) and blog / tweet till you die bout how much it sucks.

G

I live near and work with businesses in Cochocton... it's relatively small. This is an example of how capitalism and government are unbalanced. Under threat of lawsuit this small county was told to cut off a utility, which was paid for by the people of Coshocton County. Now we have a paid utility, that is not serving anyone, is the MPAA going to reimburse the people? No. Is Sony? No. If Sony was able to SEE the download happening, they should have taken it a step further by WORKING with the local government, not stepping all over it.

slapdashzero

Distinguished
May 20, 2008
Ahh, one of my favorite Stalinisims: "I would rather punish a thousand innocent men than let one guilty man go unpunished." Thanks for setting civil rights back a few decades, Sony. I agree with most of the above posts.. I find it incredible that anyone in that local government would think Sony or the MPAA have the authority to even request something like shutting off a public internet resource. Unbelieveable.

G

I agree with TheKurrgan, the county probably got a nasty letter from RIAA/Sony, paniced and caved in. I'm sure somewhere someone downloaded a pirated movie over AT&T wireless, you don't see them shutting down nationally...

antilycus

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
cant squeeze blood out of a turnip, but the MPAA and RIAA sure are trying to. The more they do it, the more people copy. Cause / effect. I am sure they sleep at night thinking that they are makinng a difference and people will learn from their example, but obviously they've never stepped foot on a college campus where probably 75% of all movies are copied. OH, wait I forgot the MPAA already completely destroyed 3 families, putting them on the street to starve to death. Why WOULDN'T someone want to copy games? They are killing innocent people...those fucking terrorists.

ethanolson

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2009
Car thieves drive cars on roads. We need to shut down the roads or implment checkpoints at every corner and verify that the cars travelling are legitimately owned or under authorized stewardship of those behind the wheels.

Status
Not open for further replies.