MPAA Kills Town's WiFi Over One Movie Download

Status
Not open for further replies.

Montezuma

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2008
Now, just wait one goddamn minute. How can some bullshit corporation have more authority than a local government? The local government needs to tell the ISP to deal with the "illegal" download and turn the internet connection back on.

They also do not need to run a filter; they just need to force people to sign up for a log in and attach all sites visited to the username log. If a complaint comes in, then the government needs to contact the owner of that username and deal with that particular user(if they can prove that that user actually downloaded the digital item).

The MPAA and Sony have stepped well outside of their bounds of power and our governments need to reign in these corporations.

P.S.
Tom's really needs to proofread their articles before they post them.

djcoolmasterx

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2007
The year is 2065, Squads of MPAA kill droids patrol the ruined streets while RIAA attack helicopters swarm overhead ready to open fire on any detected copyright infringers.

ccstooge

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006
This smells of IT personnel who know nothing of how to control internet traffic.

Also, +1 on the proofreading sucking. I'm sure the "country" has $4900 to use for filtering, maybe the county doesn't - but in that case get a good f'ing firewall that you can block ports on! Needless to say you can get wireless firewalls that can block that for far less total and per year - idiots.

gravitygirl

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
So the MPAA is having too much trouble finding and tracking the offending person who actually committed the crime so they are allowed to tear up the public road the criminal used to get away?

This is definitely messed up.

G

BOT + ipcop = open ports for email, http(s), and vpn. donate money to creators of ipcop and bot

welshmousepk

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
next week:

a twinkie was stolen from wal-mart, so the they cut of the food and water supply to all surrounding villages to teach them a lesson.

seriously, how do they have the right to do that?

dokk2

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2007
Ahhmmm, I'm a not a yank so I could be wrong ,but I smell a 1st Amendment violation here.
And remember you Yankees it is UNALENIABLE rights,, not inalienable,,which means that you cannot give away your rights,,NOR can they be taken away the Constitution does not give that power to congress
:::See Patriot act 1&2...:)

Manos

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
Son y is responsible for taking down a whole town's WiFi in order to stop a user from downloading a movie of theirs..? lmfao how freaking retarded are they? And ofc noone will even react to Sony. Suckups. Oh well., if they dont tell Sony off in odert o not be ruining it for them , then deal with it. Its a 2 way.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
I love the idea of a state sponsored wireless connection in a city. I wouldn't expect much for speed, but enough for average usage.
To take that away is wrong.
Just like Time Warner Cable complaining it couldn't compete against a city sponsored fiber optic program...

liemfukliang

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2008
Unless there has been somekind of EULA than this is just the same as:
I am a killer, kill a guy. The family victim trace the killer. The police find out that I am the killer is live at Washington DC. I am proved using 1'st degree planning murder. SO ALL PEOPLE IN WASHINGTON DC WILL BE KILL INCLUDING ME AS A PUNISHMENT =)).

Status
Not open for further replies.