MS DOS Shutdown command

Status
Not open for further replies.

ritssvyas778

Estimable
Jan 27, 2016
Hey,
Recently my teacher asked me to find out a command to shutdown MS DOS OS(not the command prompt in windows OS)
I Googled it many times but I did'nt get the answer
Thus please help me

Solution
There isn't one. DOS stands for Disc Operating System. The only way to shut down the OS is to turn off the pc, either fully or reset. To get out of the Windows command prompt you type 'exit' which will return you to Windows.

Karadjgne

Distinguished
Herald
There isn't one. DOS stands for Disc Operating System. The only way to shut down the OS is to turn off the pc, either fully or reset. To get out of the Windows command prompt you type 'exit' which will return you to Windows.

Solution

Karadjgne

Distinguished
Herald
Optimizing ram for faster boots, ugh, what a time consuming pita that was.

Seagate hdds have the park thing, supposed to save on wear n tear and prolong hdd life. Doesn't really work out all that well. Just another thing that can break.

Original PC/XT, PC/AT user power supplies which did not have "shutdown" pin - only "outputs", so there was no standard way to shut a PC down. Some OEMs (and I suppose, PS/2) did have custom PSUs, and a way to shut them down from command line.

Yes, memories... DoubeDOS, DESQview...

Karadjgne

Distinguished
Herald
Every pc I've ever seen had a power button. In older XT/AT it was a toggle switch. In new ATX it's a momentary switch, which sometimes is alone and settable in bios to be shutdown of reset/hold for 5 seconds to shut down, or it's paired with a separate reset so can be used as a sleep trigger.

Until the advent of software such as Corsair Link, psu's were simply that. A power transformer. There was no link between motherboard and psu other than the power leads. MS DOS had no commands capable of coded shutdown and no way to affect the psu directly. Any and all transitory codes like shutdown or sleep were triggers in the bios, which is not accessible on a DOS platform once the OS is running.

There's simply only 2 ways to shut a DOS platform down. Push the power button or pull the plug.

Status
Not open for further replies.