MSFT Dubs Handheld Console Market 'Red Ocean'

Status
Not open for further replies.

opmopadop

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2009
The games on WP7 are enough portable fun for me. At least WP7 (and other mobile platform) games can be made from freelancer programmers, removing the monopoly of material available from the big boys (within reason).

G

No because mobile consoles are stupid. Why would I want to carry a portable console in the smartphone era?

ukee1593

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2009
Microsoft sucks so I don't want to see a MS handheld.

I think SONY has the right idea with their PlayStation module being implemented into certain Android phones. This will eventually expand just as PC gaming expanded on the windows platform and could get them a lot of revenue. Providing a PlayStation module makes it easier for developers to create the software for the phone resulting in what I believe will be a better experience than the standard Android or iOS games.

This too brings the developers we know (and love) such as Naughty Dog and Insomniac over to the smartphone arena where they wouldn't have already.

Don't forget the Playstation Vita is almost a smartphone already. It has music, movie, GPS, internet connectivity via 3G already! I'm certain that there is still a market out there where the buyer just wants a small smartphone like the HTC wildfire which they have in their pocket and they keep the PS Vita in their bag so their pants don't fall down! I bet with the size of the screen they'll stick on the iPhone 5 25% of the population will be going around with their pants around their ankles.

If Microsoft didn't have a console they'd be saying the same thing about the console gaming market

rottingsheep

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2010
sony's on-the-go concept where you can continue your home console game on the road with a portable console is a very good idea. this might really change how we play computer games.
Dedicated portable games console will never go away if the companies never stop innovating.

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
I think the mobile console market is saturated as is. We really only need two major players in here; besides, Microsoft should focus on bringing WP7 as an alternative to the Apple and Google dominated world.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]The Panda[/nom]Let me just be very clear because it's ridiculous that anyone would say something like, "iDevice and Smart Phones are going to replace consoles." No they're not. Plain and fucking simple. Nintendo tried that cutesy shit, and now they're drowning in it. And unless you want you smart phone to be netbook sized, I suggest everyone think realistically about the future of gaming.Hardcore gamers, rule this market, and I for one say no to mobile gaming.[/citation]

no one said anything about consoles, but lets go there.
imagine the next i/android device is a quad core that deliver 360 quality graphics at a near if not 720p resolution.

well now imagine that they sell it for 200-300$ people will buy it, its a portable media device, and if you go cell phone with it, its also a phone you most likely payed next to noting for (up front)

so now that its out and its proliferated, they come out with a dock. it hooks up to the tv, has room for 2 - 4 sd cards, or usb devices, possibly a hard drive. now, you also got a controller in your hand...

you portable phone/mp3 player is now your home console too.

if this happens, there is a good chance of it taking off.

Rab1d-BDGR

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2009
I think it is a sad day when a market with only 2-3 players is considered "Saturated" - It barely beats a monopoly for competition. However, The competition I care more about is between games producers in this area - the lower cost of entry into the smartphone gaming market has been great for small indie developers.

Now if we can kindly have some phones that can play high-quality games all day without draining too much battery then we could be onto a winner.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]Rab1d-BDGR[/nom]I think it is a sad day when a market with only 2-3 players is considered "Saturated" - It barely beats a monopoly for competition. However, The competition I care more about is between games producers in this area - the lower cost of entry into the smartphone gaming market has been great for small indie developers. Now if we can kindly have some phones that can play high-quality games all day without draining too much battery then we could be onto a winner.[/citation]

or a viable option to extend battery life. either one would be nice. o... and analog conteolls. none of that touch screen only crap for games like a fps.

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
[citation][nom]stm1185[/nom]No because mobile consoles are stupid. Why would I want to carry a portable console in the smartphone era?[/citation]

I would say my main reason is the controls. Having a dedicated D-pad or analog stick with buttons that are designed for gaming is something no smart phone has achieved.
Take a game like Street Fighter 4, if this game was on the smart phones and was able to play
with those on the 3DS do you honestly ever expect the player one the smart phone to win?

The fact is smart phones cannot give mobile gaming performance to anything but casual gamers with small simple games. The few titles that dare try to do otherwise never live up
to expectations mostly due to controls.

drwho1

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
No, I have never cared about portable gaming devices, I can't understand why anyone would want to focus their attention to a small screen with so low res for any amount of time.

All of them, they have to be very bad for your eyes in the long run.

wcooper007

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2006
[citation][nom]NuclearShadow[/nom]I would say my main reason is the controls. Having a dedicated D-pad or analog stick with buttons that are designed for gaming is something no smart phone has achieved. Take a game like Street Fighter 4, if this game was on the smart phones and was able to playwith those on the 3DS do you honestly ever expect the player one the smart phone to win?The fact is smart phones cannot give mobile gaming performance to anything but casual gamers with small simple games. The few titles that dare try to do otherwise never live upto expectations mostly due to controls.[/citation]

All it would take is someone making a "dock that you slide the phone into that has these devices on them the d pad ect. if Nintendo or sony was smart they would be trying to figure out how to create a dock that a phone would slide into and would have there came cart or disk drive on it that would make the phone into an old gameboy/sega game gear/ psp ect.

Status
Not open for further replies.