MSFT: We Promise Not to Screw Up Skype

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wild9

Distinguished
May 20, 2007
Surely, Microsoft won't screw this up. I mean just look at how good the Windows operating system is. Look at how cheap Microsoft Office is. Look at how the world is completely flat.

tulx

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
"Will Microsoft limit or even end support for the service on non-Microsoft products? After all, Microsoft has a history of purchasing companies that succeed fairly well"

Umm, Syke has NEVER earned a cent — it has allways been unprofitable. How is that 'fairing well'?
In tearms of popularity, sure, but financially — not even close.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
On WP7 integration of Skype would be nice, all my contacts have a the option of a phone call or a Skype call, if i'm at home on my Wifi it would certainly be a cheaper option than using my minutes and then it would be worth a fee.

Griffolion

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
[citation][nom]wild9[/nom]Surely, Microsoft won't screw this up. I mean just look at how good the Windows operating system is. Look at how cheap Microsoft Office is. Look at how the world is completely flat.[/citation]

I really like Windows 7. £20 a PC for Office Home and Student isn't too bad IMO.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]wild9[/nom]Surely, Microsoft won't screw this up. I mean just look at how good the Windows operating system is. Look at how cheap Microsoft Office is. Look at how the world is completely flat.[/citation]
Windows 7 is brilliant, MS Office is very competative and your last statement just shows how much of a hater you are.

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
How can they screw up a product that is already so crappy... They totally overpaid for Skype. In comparison, NBC sold for a mere 5.1 billion. How does Skype, which hardly works properly and hardly generates revenue, go for 8.5 B? MS, you crazy. I hope MS goes Cloverleaf on their behinds and dismantles Skype, and rebuilds it such that it's quality isn't so horrible.

gogogadgetliver

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
People are so cynical about Microsoft. Look, they won't F up the secret sauce. Not for any reason of charity but because it's good business.

Ballmer gets it "Fundamental to the value proposition of communications is to reach people whether they’re on your device or not"

Let go of the 90s people. MS paid their dues on the monopoly crap (it's officially over) and has actually been playing nice for a long time. The golden child, AAPL, is far bigger than MSFT now and they strong arm far more.

If MS makes good stuff, use it. If not, use something else. Actually find out if it's good *before* you decide though. What a concept.

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
[citation][nom]NuclearShadow[/nom]Why do I getting the sneaking suspicion that Skype is going to heavily spy on its users for no on?[/citation]
Like Skype wasn't before?

Uberragen21

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2009
MS's newer products are actually pretty good. They have gotten most of the bugs out in Win 7, to the point it's 10x better than Win XP. I suspect Skype will find a good home with MS. Ugh, I never thought I'd hear myself say that.

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
The price is ridiculous, but I have faith that Microsoft won't screw it up. After all, they've been an excellent company with various apps on iOS and Android.

Status
Not open for further replies.