Mshta.exe virus Help!!!?

Solution
Sometimes Windows Defender (Rarer cases Malwarebytes) have issues dealing with specific malware/viruses in normal mode, you could try the following as a solution:

1. Restart the PC in "safe mode with networking"
2. Install RKill and run it to kill any malicious services. You could try removing the virus manually, delete its files.
3. Install any popular antivirus and do a quick scan (Majority of the providers do have free versions of their software). Or just use Windows Defender. It works really well in most cases.
4. Install and scan your PC with Malwarebytes and Hitman Pro (Maybe ADWCleaner).
5. Restart PC in normal mode and do another quick scan with Malwarebytes.

Let me know if this helps. In theory, it should solve all of the...

JoshRoss

Estimable
Jul 11, 2017
Sometimes Windows Defender (Rarer cases Malwarebytes) have issues dealing with specific malware/viruses in normal mode, you could try the following as a solution:

1. Restart the PC in "safe mode with networking"
2. Install RKill and run it to kill any malicious services. You could try removing the virus manually, delete its files.
3. Install any popular antivirus and do a quick scan (Majority of the providers do have free versions of their software). Or just use Windows Defender. It works really well in most cases.
4. Install and scan your PC with Malwarebytes and Hitman Pro (Maybe ADWCleaner).
5. Restart PC in normal mode and do another quick scan with Malwarebytes.

Let me know if this helps. In theory, it should solve all of the issues. Good luck!

Solution

Alienbraham

Commendable
Apr 2, 2016
YES!!! I downloaded and ran Malwarebytes AdwcCeaner And it found left overs of a chromium virus i a long time ago. i figure they are connected. I removed it and i have a feeling that is what it was.

JoshRoss

Estimable
Jul 11, 2017
It could definitely be it. Chromium is closely tied to MSTHA virus. It creates those annoying pop-ups. Now, it might be that it will still pop-up because MSTHA virus creates "Task Schedule" at regular intervals, you will still have to remove that from your Windows. Just find "Task Scheduler" in windows, and remove scheduled task related to either Chromium or MSTHA. Let me know if this helps.