MSI Gaming Notebooks Named CES Award Honoree for Third Year in a Row & a question

TheGoat Eater

Honorable
Apr 12, 2012
Since I have become a big MSI notebook fan I wanted to share this - I love my GT60 0NE :D

MSI got the CES Innovation Award for the 3 year in a row for their gaming notebooks. You may have their notebooks and not realize it as they also do whitebooks that are used by companies like Cyberpower for their Fangbook. There are also countless boutiques and customizers out their that sell customized versions of their offerings.

I personally have the GT60 0NE-403US w/ GTX 680m @ 1030/1150 (~249US same exact thing, just the # ) and love it - I use it as a desktop replacement and play a ton of BF4 on it. I am excited to be getting their newest GT60 2OD-261US w/ the 3K IPS Screen tomorrow or the next day. I will be testing it out as soon as I can and posting up my findings -> SOOOOO damn anxious for that gorgeous screen plus to put in 3 MSATA SSDs in RAID 0 and add another 16GB of RAM for a large RAM drive. So anxious its not funny since I am becoming stressed as the minutes creep by.

MSI announces that two of its products have been named as International CES Innovations 2014 Design and Engineering Award Honorees. This year, the recognition goes to the GS70 gaming notebook and "Flicker-Free" AG2712A AIO Gaming PC. This is the 3rd year in a row that gaming notebooks from MSI have received these accolades.

http://usgaming.msi.com/News/Detail/30/

I am working on testing that GT60 3k I am getting in - what do you prefer / like to see in notebook testing writeups ... I want to get feedback as it will help me know what to focus on in the future

dorj1234

Honorable
Dec 29, 2013
I am considering it too, but I would like to warn you and ask you a question

1. warning: the TRIM feature may be turned off if you use raid-0 on those drives, meaning shorter life expectancy. It's best imho to use raid-1 mirroring and save your data
I wish someone knew if reading speeds are increased when using raid-1

2. Question: the GT60 2OD-261US has an amazing spec but it worries me that only one fan is in use. They call it "shared pipe" but it's just marketing words and I don't know what really happens
Can you really make your GT60 2OD-261US work hard on graphics + many web pages + office + file copy + network and tell us if the heat is handled well ?

Many thanks and enjoy the amazing new rig
JD

TheGoat Eater

Honorable
Apr 12, 2012
I am aware of the issues expressed in #1 - I will be backing up my files to my "cloud". Everything past that I am up to that risk, I have been doing this a long time and know with raid 0 always have a copy of the info on it backed up to another drive/s.

#2 In my current GT60 0NE the cooling can keep up with my overvolted 680m @ 1030/1150 constant @ 100% load (hours on end) with the turbo fan on that kicks the fans to high. They aren't that loud at all thankfully, my standard GPUs make more sound at idle. I will likely be replacing and modifying the cooling as well. I will have a long on my site (no ads, just my work) @ thegoateater.com its a work in progress so sorry about how it looks lol

dorj1234

Honorable
Dec 29, 2013
Well I am ordering a GT60 2OD-261 modified by xoticpc for extra ssd love & extra cooling, I read a bit about the cooling part - the assumption I read about was that it's rare to have both CPU and GPU creating extreme heat at the same time including during gameplay. A shared heat-pipe is used so one borrows the cooling while the other is idle

Makes sense ? I'd love to hear more from people, and in any case it's good enough for me to go ahead and buy this sweet machine just a few days ahead of CES

TheGoat Eater

Honorable
Apr 12, 2012
The "shared" cooling is not really equally shared with the heatpipes - the pipes are not entirely shared between the two 50/50. I had the GT60 0NE w/680m before the GT60 2OD-261 and the cooling worked well - I even had custom firmware on the 680m with a bump in voltage. I would always recommend that you have the turbofan on when gaming as it cools much better. I have no doubt you love your 2OD-261 - I added 3 24GB SSDs and put them in RAID 0 and boy does it fly now