MSI GE62 6QD and Samsung 950 pro

alexialongina

Commendable
Apr 6, 2016
Hi
I've searched the forum and the only similarity was a deleted thread.

I just bought a GE62 6QD, I´ve replaced the hdd with a 850 evo and the m.2 with a 950 pro.
I´ve reinstalled windows 10, but I cant manage to install it on the 950.
I see the M.2 does not appear on the BIOS in either UEFI or UEFI CSM, it does in legacy mode.

In windows I can see both drives, and both are working correctly.
What am I doing wrong? Is it possible to do a clean install in the 950 (not a cloning solution)

My bios is E16J5IMS.109, should I update to E16J5IMS.10F?
Thanks!!

Solution
Well, I'm answering myself. After researching some more, I've found out that this kind of drives do not appear in bios, so what I did was remove the secondary drive leaving just the M.2 plugged in, installed a fresh copy of windows, and then install the other drive.
Now i'm booting from the 950 and have the 850 as a secondary.

One get's accustomed to playing around with the bios that it was a bit strange to bypass it.

alexialongina

Commendable
Apr 6, 2016
Well, I'm answering myself. After researching some more, I've found out that this kind of drives do not appear in bios, so what I did was remove the secondary drive leaving just the M.2 plugged in, installed a fresh copy of windows, and then install the other drive.
Now i'm booting from the 950 and have the 850 as a secondary.

One get's accustomed to playing around with the bios that it was a bit strange to bypass it.

Solution

heberg21

Prominent
May 26, 2017
I know this is old...but just in case someone else stumbles upon it. You can get the Samsung 950 Pro drive to get detected in the BIOS, MSI Dominator GT72, et al:

" If you use a PCI-e NVMe SSD as a data disk in Windows 7, you should set the BIOS settings as [RAID] and [UEFI with CSM] mode before installing Windows 7. Otherwise, your PCI-e NVMe SSD might not be detected in the Intel Rapid Storage Technology (IRST) control panel, and it will cause the limitation of NVMe features.

Note: To use a PCI-e NVMe SSD as a data disk, please set the BIOS setting as below and reinstall Windows 7.
SATA Mode Selection: [RAID]
Boot mode select: [UEFI with CSM] "

From: https://service.msicomputer.com/msi_user/support/TechFAQdetail.aspx?formid=3392