MSI GE70 2PE Apache Pro Battery Issues

benz.media

Great
Sep 25, 2018
So this all started when I bought a new charger advertised for my MSI GE70 2PE Apache Pro but turned out to be the wrong voltage and wrong amp for my battery. I bought this charger since I forgot my original charger at my friends place. So let's just call the new charger, charger A. Let's call the original charger, charger B.

I noticed this after a while, that the battery wouldn't charge more then 80%. Charger B was still laying at my friends place at this time and I really started to worry when my laptop one day, wouldn't start up. I plugged the charger in and it started up, but it would refuse to charge when my laptop was powered on.

I finally went back to my friends place to retrieve charger B. So I went back, attached the charger, but still, my laptop refused to charge when it was powered on. Might be a battery issue, I thought. So I disposed of the old original battery and bought a brand new battery which was the right voltage and amps.

I noticed that charger B, was still having the same issue, but this time way different.

I hooked up the charger and attached the new battery. Powered it on, and I was surprised to see that the battery would refuse to charge when my laptop was powered on.

After a while I discovered that my laptop keeps discharging, and charging. But when I turned the laptop off, the charging light indicator was on, meaning that the charger was charging the battery.

So I kept it charging for a while and turned it on. I noticed it was at 100% and charging. So I let it run on battery power.

The laptop battery drained as normal, but when I plugged my charging cable in to my laptop, it kept discharging and charging. But, this does not drain the battery, and doesn't charge it either. For example if I had drained my battery to 64%, the battery would stay at 64%. But when I plug the charger out, the charger would be EXTREMELY hot, to the point where it would literally hurt you if you touched it.

But I kept going. I didn't mind the discharging and charging issue until now.

If I disconnect my charger, either the following things will happen:

- My secondary SSD gets removed

- My laptop crashes and gives me a BSOD

- My laptop does not want to open task manager anymore

From time to time I smell burnt plastic. I examined the DC jack multiple times but saw no burnt plastic and the charger felt good as well but I literally smell the horrific smell of burnt plastic sometimes when sniffing near the DC jack.

I am very worried about this and I would like to get help about this ASAP. I have no idea what the problem is. I'm gonna try buying a new charger soon, and I'm gonna see if that works.

But here's the BSOD errors it has been giving me. After the BSOD it always boots up into the BIOS menu and refuses to restart into Windows 10 unless I hold the power button. Even if I save and restart.

CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED

KERNAL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR

What is weird is, that by examining the BSOD errors, I've seen that CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED means that a critical process died (duh) and this means probably that it might be that removing the charger from my laptop causes processes to shut down for some reason.

Here is the list of things I've tried.

Removing the battery and inserting it again

Running antiviruses (I've ran 3 different antiviruses, Hitmanpro, Malwarebytes Rootkit, Malwarebytes AdwCleaner)

Running sfc scannow

Changing Charger B's power cable

Running it without battery (laptop boots up, and after about 4 seconds it shuts down)

Checking the SSD and reinsterting it

Reinsterting the RAM

Cleaning out the fan

Running the official MSI Battery Calibration Tool

Please help me.

Solution
Don't just by a new charger or a new battery. While you seem to know quite a lot, I would really consider taking it to a tech to have it looked at (or the manufacturer if under warranty) as there is to much going on here and continued usage will possibly fry more than one thing.
Don't just by a new charger or a new battery. While you seem to know quite a lot, I would really consider taking it to a tech to have it looked at (or the manufacturer if under warranty) as there is to much going on here and continued usage will possibly fry more than one thing.

Solution

benz.media

Great
Sep 25, 2018

I have thought of doing that. I guess that will be my best option.