MSI GE70 APACHE PRO will not boot or enter bios

jimmatt23

Estimable
Aug 18, 2015
almost brand new. i tried to clone the hdd to an ssd, was a couple months ago and cant remember which program i used.

after the process completed i am left with a laptop that will not boot. literally will not even let me enter bios. i have tried both the hdd and ssd and without any drive installed.

anyone have any suggestions?

thanks

Any success with no drive installed? I can't recall whether the GE70 has a removable battery or not (I believe it does), but if you can, power the laptop off, remove the battery and charger, press and hold the power button for 5 seconds, and then reconnect power and power the computer back on. This power cycle will reset the EC chip; if this is just a firmware hang up, doing this might clear it up and get the system to boot properly.

jimmatt23

Estimable
Aug 18, 2015

thanks, but no luck. turned laptop off, removed battery and power lead, held power button for 5+seconds, put battery in, turned on, stuck on msi splashscreen,

i had previously tried with a different hdd, different ssd and with no drive in it at all.

Bless it...

Hate to say it, but it sounds like the system may need reflashed, or the board needs reworked or replaced by MSI.

jimmatt23

Estimable
Aug 18, 2015

thx for the response.

when you say the system may need to be reflashed im guessing thats not something i can do myself?

i am in the process of having it sent to msi for repair, but im just wary of it being a "software or configuration issue" because that isnt covered by warranty

My pleasure. :)

You can flash the BIOS if you can boot from a USB drive, but if the system isn't even allowing you to enter BIOS, then that's likely not something you can fix on your own (at least not easily). No, I think this is something MSI needs to take care of.

Best of luck with it!

jimmatt23

Estimable
Aug 18, 2015

just tried it and still no luck. goes to MSI splashscreen and does nothing else, still can enter bios

jimmatt23

Estimable
Aug 18, 2015

what would happen if it was the ram that had gone? could that cause these symptoms?

jimmatt23

Estimable
Aug 18, 2015

to the repair shop it is then...