MSI GS60 2QE Ghost Pro - CPU Temps

TwistedFate77

Estimable
Sep 24, 2015
Hello everyone, long time reader first time poster.

I just purchased an MSI GS60 ghost pro 2qe this week and had the ram upgraded to 16gb. I was just wondering if my cpu temps are ok or not? they seem a little high to me. Also when im just browsing the web or watching youtube the cpu fan spins at around 3k rpm which is pretty loud. Please look at this screen shot of hwmonitor and this was taken while running guild wars 2 on a 20 degree Celsius morning. http://imgur.com/LxLUswQ

CPU is an intel core i7 5700HQ 2.7 ghz and 3.5 ghz turbo.

I did ask the store i bought it from if this model does get really hot and they said they have had no returns but to bring it back if I had any issues?

Hello TwistedFate77

Can you please ensure that you are not using any heavy and resource intensive security program such as antivirus, antimalware, etc.?

Also, can you check if the genuine graphics driver (from the vendor itself) is installed on your PC, and that the driver is up-to-date? Many times the heating issues are occurred due to wrong graphics driver.

If you find every thing correct, you may want to run some optimization tool such as CCleaner or Ashampoo WinOptimizer and clean the system's unwanted files, registry entries, and browser cache.

Feel free to come back if more assistance is needed. :)

Cheers!!

TwistedFate77

Estimable
Sep 24, 2015

The GPU is running really cool it's just the cpu. I am using avast anti virus and the laptop is only 2 days old so I don't see why it would need a clean out?

TwistedFate77

Estimable
Sep 24, 2015
Idle it sits around 40-47. Also noticed when under load core 3 can be up to 14 degrees hotter then the other cores. Have taken it back to the store and they are checking it out. Hopefully they find an issue as they kept trying to assure me that it was fine and it's hot because it's a laptop.

Your idle temp seems completely normal considering how thin the GS60 is (and it is known to run relatively warm), and the fan is probably going to run relatively high rpms to maintain that temp because the laptop is so thin. My fan runs about 1900 rpm to keep my cpu idling between 40-45, but it is much thicker and easier to cool. I have no clue how much stress Guild Wars puts on a cpu, so I'm no help. A 14 degree difference between one core and the rest seems like a lot to me, but I'm no expert. I've only ever seen maybe a 3 or 4 degree difference in any of the cores in my laptop (in my sig). Hope they can figure out if there is an issue or not. Good luck!

P.S. Nice laptop. :)

TwistedFate77

Estimable
Sep 24, 2015
Have taken it into the store and they are going to check it out. As usual the technician tried to say it was normal but I know for a fact a 14 degree variance on one core is not normal. And it should not get that hot on a really cold morning otherwise it will just melt on a summer day.