Epikas

Honorable
Dec 29, 2013
Hello everyone.

So as a new student I have been looking around for a new laptop and have come to two computers that I am torn between.
I need both performance and portability.
Will most likely be hooking the laptop to a bigger monitor and custom peripherals when in dorm.

The first is the MSI GS70 Stealth Pro @ $1999.99 CAD.

Specs:
i7 47100HQ
12gb DDR3
17' FHD TN matte screen
970m 3gb
128GB ssd + 1TB HDD

http://www.ncix.com/detail/msi-gs70-stealth-pro-i7-b0-102707-1281.htm

The other option is the Gigabyte P35WV3 @ $1799.99 CAD.

Specs:
i7 4720HQ
8gb DDR3
15.6' FHD IPS matte screen
970m 6gb
1TB HDD

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834233090&cm_re=970m-_-34-233-090-_-Product

The reason why I am indecisive on these are due to some mixed reviews on both products. The MSI has better storage out of the box but it comes with a TN panel along with only 3gb of vram. Im sure this is enough for now, but I feel like for the future, having a bit more vram could be beneficial.

The Gigavyte on the other hand, seems like the better laptop, but according to a video review on LInusTechTips channel, the gigabyte seems to thermal throttle, have quite a bit of flex on the keyboard, and have a decent amount of back light bleeding on the IPS panel.

This is my first high performance purchase and I would like to choose an option that will not disappoint. If you guys can supply some constructive feedback, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Solution
I personally would go for the MSI, more RAM, and has a SSD,bigger screen (even if it is a TN, TN is a very good screen for gaming or fast motion things like race movies, sports etc, no shadow tracing) the other components are almost identical.

Dragos Manea

Estimable
Mar 30, 2015
I personally would go for the MSI, more RAM, and has a SSD,bigger screen (even if it is a TN, TN is a very good screen for gaming or fast motion things like race movies, sports etc, no shadow tracing) the other components are almost identical.

Solution