MSI GS73VR-6RF Shuts off on Battery, requires AC to boot

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Sorry if this like so many other posts,

But I spent some time combing several of the solved answers without finding one that affected my machine.

I'm working with a MSI GS73VR-6RF, 2016 Model. It's worked amazing until just this morning. I've tried multiple types of software side troubleshooting, given that it's out of warranty I opened the base double checked the screws, the battery's connection. All good.

Double checked my firmware, my bios. All of it. Seems to be in order. The Laptop simply runs on its battery for a short random amount of time between sixteen seconds to seventeen minutes then shuts off. During which time the battery is unable to drain itself below 95% Following this, it won't boot unless it has its power supply. After which it functions perfectly well.

Unfortunately, this leaves me with a desktop. So any suggestions would be welcome! Thanks in advance!

A recent update, On a whim I decided to install a bit of MSI bloatware to let me tamper with my fans. Cranking them rather high to test if it was a heat issue when I went off the AC. At Sixteen Seconds, the fans suddenly began to struggle. Never studdered. Simply struggled to maintain their speed. Then the entire machine shut off.

Another Update, I was watching it run several monitoring programs as tried again. Seconds before the failure sequence. "Drive" usage spiked to well over 50% followed by CPU usage to over 70%, then shut off. I have two Drives, both Solid state. One is a Samsung Evo, other is a Samsung brand, but the model is unknown other than being a PCie in nature.

G

I have a multimeter I could place on the battery, I'm not sure which pins on to test however.

G

You know I was sitting here thinking, I bet it's red/black. Well, I'm about to open it up. Before I do and swap to my phone. What number's should I be hunting for or is this a report back and hope what I type out is good news for me situation?

reedo_43

Distinguished
Well if it is not just a bad battery (which I believe it is) it is something much more serious. Do you have you have your power options in control panel set on what to do when batter level gets low? critical, etc. It's 4:30 here in the the US. Got to get some shut eye...

G

I do, normally when the battery's low enough I've got it set up to complain at me once, then in 3% after that hibernate.

The giant tilt in drive usage then CPU Usage was weird...

Plus for these readings I'm wondering If they're so low because its 3x3 red black.

I'm in the USA too, haha.

G

Well, if it's only the battery I'm not too worried. I was terrified it was the Mobo lol, the one part of the monster that isn't a drop'n'swap.

Thanks for the help! I think now that you've an idea I can drop by a mom & pop comp shop to have them do a real battery test, then pull this sucker out without taking my insulation with it.

MSI made it 10% battery, 90% adhesive, haha

Then I can drop the $80 on a new one

Status
Not open for further replies.