MSI GT80 Titan SLI Won't Recognize External Mics

Froz3nBlaze

Estimable
Sep 1, 2015
Ok, so basically I bought this GT80 a few months ago and haven't actually tried using a mic on it.

Recently, I've needed to get on a Skype call and tried connecting a mic... Unfortunately, it wouldn't work. I checked my recording devices, it wasn't showing up. I went into Device Manager and same thing, no mic under audio and no unrecognized devices.

I tried a few other mics that I had lying around, I also tried headphones and earphones but to no avail. Can anyone help me with this?

The port you are trying to plug the mic into, are you sure it is actually an input or input/output combo port? I ask because a lot of laptops anymore have a single output only port, which will not work with microphones, only headphones/external speakers.

If that is the case with yours, then you would only be able to use an external mic by getting yourself a USB adapter for it, and connecting through the USB port on the computer.

Froz3nBlaze

Estimable
Sep 1, 2015

There is an input for both mic and headset on my laptop. The headphones I use has both the audio jack option and the usb option. I've tried both of them, and they don't seem to work. I even got a chord that will allow me to connect both the mic and headphone into one audio jack and that didn't work.

I've tried all my mics and headphones on my brother's laptop and they all seem to work on his laptop.

Mine unfortunately wouldn't recognize any of the mics

Very odd. Especially if it works on other devices. Have you tried plugging it in and then going into "Control Panel" and then "Sound". Does it show in the listing there? If not, try right clicking on the empty white space in that window and make sure the "Show Disabled" and "Show Disconnected" are both checked. Once you can actually see them listed, then right click on them and Try the "Configure" and also "Test" options to see if you can get them to work.

Froz3nBlaze

Estimable
Sep 1, 2015

Yep, I've already tried checking it in all of "Recording Devices", "Control Panel" and "Device Manager". They never show up.

When I connect it and have the Device Manager open, I try to see if I get anything new under Audio Devices or if I get an "Unrecognized device". But even then, I get nothing...