MSI Laptop Broken HDD Clicking

AjBrodsky

Commendable
Sep 4, 2016
Alright, so I’ll be blatant and honest...
I kinda let out in a game and slammed my palm on my laptop (MSI GL62-6QF) after having my character keep dying time after time to some other player, causing it to just black screen. Rebooted and it went to MSI logo, then it was saying no media, then went to bios while HDD started to click. Went to boot list to see if it recognized. It did the first time but then disappeared. Everything else shows up perfectly fine in the bios (CPU, RAM, etc.)
I don’t have anything really important on it, just wanna know if there is any way to quickly fix it, or am I totally screwed on having to buy a new hard drive and downloading all my games again.
Also, do I have to buy a new copy of Windows 10 or is there some kind of documentation or disc that may have came with the laptop packaging that I can reverify it or something, idk, put it on the new HDD (if I have to get a new one), etc.
Any suggestions are taken into consideration.
Thanks in advance!
Alex

P.S. I didn’t slam it that hard. I’ve dropped it like 10 times before with no effect hence having probably twice the force each time.

Solution
The slam probably caused a fatal head crash. Hopefully no circuitboard was cracked, but the drive is certainly dead.
Fortunately, if you install Windows 10 on a new drive, you will probably not need a key; the installation will read the motherboard information and auto-activate. Unfortunately, you will need to re-install everything you had. More good news though, you can probably avoid whatever bloatware MSI may have included, although anything you want will likely be available on their site.

Onus

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
The slam probably caused a fatal head crash. Hopefully no circuitboard was cracked, but the drive is certainly dead.
Fortunately, if you install Windows 10 on a new drive, you will probably not need a key; the installation will read the motherboard information and auto-activate. Unfortunately, you will need to re-install everything you had. More good news though, you can probably avoid whatever bloatware MSI may have included, although anything you want will likely be available on their site.

Solution