Msi laptop dim display

May 14, 2018
I recently replaced my screen and now it is not bright enough to use. It is visible with the lights off in room and the external moniter works fine.
Here are the specs
Gs63vr
intel hd 630 gpu
Nvidia 1060 card
LG LP156WF6 (SP)(B1) screen

Here are the things I have tried.
I tried to switch the display to the nvidia card but was unable to.
the display is dim all times including bios and the external moniter won't work until after windows starts.
I tried it on another screen and it isb just as dim.
I replaced the cable connector twice
I tried brightening it from the keyboard and graphics settings
I hooked up and external monitor and it worked fine.
Checked the bios and there are no video settings
tried starting it in safe mode
reset the bios
tried draining the power for 1 min and 2 min and 3 min
changed the drivers rolled them back and updated them

woodmass14

Estimable
Aug 2, 2015
When you go to device manager is you generic pnp monitor enabled? under "monitors" I've had this issue before, enabling this allowed me to change the brightness.
Might be a broken back light also.

May 14, 2018

Thanks for your response. It was enabled and I tried disabling it and re enabling it no luck Then I tried to uninstall and reinstall itstill no change.
If the laptop is dim in the bios also, does that mean it is a hardware issue because it is dim before windows loads

woodmass14

Estimable
Aug 2, 2015

No bother. If its dim in the bios then that sounds like a hardware issue. I'm not sure if your laptop has a separate lcd and backlight but if its packaged as 1 then are you sure you connected it properly? Sounds stupid but there has been a few occasions after opening my own i've forgot to put something where it should.
Perhaps you got a faulty panel. Any possibility trying the one you replaced (If it still works that is, cracks and all)

May 14, 2018

woodmass14

Estimable
Aug 2, 2015
I'm not sure then, only other thing i can think of is a potential broken pin on your motherboard where the lcd connects to it. Good luck though! Let us know how it goes. I'm interested in knowing what's up with it.