Solved! MSI Laptop microphone recordings are very choppy. help?

Joe_Winko

Prominent
Apr 15, 2017
im having another problem with my MSI laptop microphone. it is able to record sound BUT it's really choppy though, it'll go silent for a couple split seconds.
like in this video i recorded (it's not quite noticable until after a minute into the video): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuMAPubBVKE

the sound it's recording is just really choppy. does anyone know how i can fix this?
and it's not because of OBS either, because i was having the same problem when i tried recording on audacity.
if you need more information, just ask.

Please help <3

Solution
With a laptop you have to open it up to clean it out. And it is possible a crazy amount of dust could be a problem. It can also lead to overheating.

Just remember if the device is still under warranty, then you should speak with the manufacturer to make sure that opening it up won't void that warranty.

Joe_Winko

Prominent
Apr 15, 2017

i just tried an external mic, and it still has the same problem.

what else is running during the recording? just wordpad was also running when i recorded that video. even when i have all the other applications closed, the recorded audio still gets choppy.

Hmm odd since the external and internal mic shouldn't both have that. Unless there is something within the laptop that is interfering. Causing vibration or interference. If there is anything else connected to the laptop (externally) you might want to try disconnecting all that and see if it clears up any.

Joe_Winko

Prominent
Apr 15, 2017

i disconnected my usb mouse im using. that was the only thing pluged into it at the time. it cleared up a bit, but it still sounds choppy. i also been noticing that quite a bit of dust has been collecting around my laptop lately. could that be causing it?

i remember with my desktop computer i had to use this airspray stuff to clean out the dust, but how would i do that with a laptop?

With a laptop you have to open it up to clean it out. And it is possible a crazy amount of dust could be a problem. It can also lead to overheating.

Just remember if the device is still under warranty, then you should speak with the manufacturer to make sure that opening it up won't void that warranty.

Solution

Joe_Winko

Prominent
Apr 15, 2017

ah ok. im honestly a bit hesitant on doing that to be honest. but could there be another solution?

and i did look at the bottom of my laptop computer and didnt see any dust on the inside of it threw the vent.

Hmm, you could try using the troubleshooter....

1. Go to "Control Panel" and then click "Troubleshooting".
2. Next click "Hardware and Sound" and then click "Recording Audio".
3. Click on Hardware and Sound.
4. If you 'don't' want to "Auto Fix" any problems be sure you click "Advanced" and uncheck the box.
5. Now click "Next" and let the troubleshooter do its work.

Joe_Winko

Prominent
Apr 15, 2017

i just tried it and it didn't find any issues.

Joe_Winko

Prominent
Apr 15, 2017

i'll try calling customer support and telling them what's up. it most likely is because of dust or something like that. i also leave my computer on a lot and it could have over heated or something but i'll get it figured out.

thank you for all your help though <3 I really appreciate it :) <3