MSI Laptop screen upgrade

Kvasirr

Prominent
Jul 18, 2017
I find my MSI GE70 2PE laptop's screen incompetent, is it possible to replace it with a better one ? It distracts me too much. Color gamut is far from good :-(

Solution
I am going to guess that the screen quality will be similar since it is simply a replacement screen.

If you see flickering points on the screen that were not there when the laptop was new, then that could be a sign of a failing screen. It would be worth replacing the screen to at least get rid of the flickering if you plan on keeping the laptop for a while longer or you plan on selling it to get cash for a new laptop.

There are replacement screens for your laptop, but there are no specific information about those screens with regards to color accuracy. Per the link below there are 4 possible screens for the MSI GE70 2PE. However, two have 40-pin connectors and the other two have 30-pin connectors. You need to determine if your laptop has a 30-pin or 40-pin connector.

Once you get that out of the way you either decide if you want a replacement screen with a glossy or matte finish. There is no information which states if it is a TN panel or IPS panel screen. Note that not all IPS panels have good color gamut. My guess is that they are TN panels. They do not even provide the manufacturer's model # to do further research.

The 40-pin panels are more expensive than the 30-pin panels whether you choose glossy or matte finish. Why? I have no idea.

https://www.screencountry.com/index.php?section=products&model=GE70%202PE%20APACHE%20PRO&brand=MSI&series=OTHER%20MSI%20MODELS

Kvasirr

Prominent
Jul 18, 2017
Thanks jaguar! It is a 3 years old laptop, is it wise to make this invesment ? Colors are really dull, especially in a bright room, and I am able to see flickering points on the screen. It creates a brain fog, It made me use my smartphone instead.

I am going to guess that the screen quality will be similar since it is simply a replacement screen.

If you see flickering points on the screen that were not there when the laptop was new, then that could be a sign of a failing screen. It would be worth replacing the screen to at least get rid of the flickering if you plan on keeping the laptop for a while longer or you plan on selling it to get cash for a new laptop.

Solution