MSI Laptop wont boot past MSI logo (unique problem, havent seen this on the forums anywhere.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richneedshelp

Commendable
Sep 16, 2016
So i shutdown my laptop one day after gaming hard. The next day i try to turn it on and it boots to the MSI logo and after about 10-15 seconds it will simply turn off. i kept trying to boot a lot of times and it wouldnt work just kept shutting down. So i put it in BIOS mode and BIOS mode stayed on, afterwards i kept trying to boot it unsuccessfully until i tried F3 (advanced options) and clicked on "Exit and continue to Windows 10" and it worked, what a miracle i thought. but that didn't last for more than that day. after it finally booted up i played some games, reset the laptop, powered it off and then on again and it worked completely fine. Also to note - when i finally booted the PC a message popped up, it said "Reset your pc to restore corrupted files" so i thought that was the problem and i did. my pc restored them and everything seemed fine so i was happy and kept on gaming thinking the situation was over and handled. Then the next day came, and i tried to boot my pc, THE SAME PROBLEM WAS OCCURRING i couldn't believe my eyes. i checked to see if BIOS would work and it did without turning off, after checking, i just kept resetting my pc afterwards over and over and over and over and over out of frustration while googling for similar issues online until finally it booted up. my jaw is dropped right now, I HAVE NO IDEA what sort of problem this is and cannot find a solution or a similar problem online, what would cause a pc to have but a small chance to turn on like this? Also now that i managed to finally get it started up i reset it a few times to check if the same problem would occur and it isn't happening anymore. it seems like once my pc is off for awhile THEN the problem will begin where it wont boot past the MSI logo. I don't know what to do but i know i cannot live with resetting my pc around 100 times for it to finally boot up past the MSI logo for just the day. And to address the "corrupted files" problem further - it only happened the 1st time my pc did this, the 2nd time it happened there was no message for corrupted files or anything like that. It looks like recreating the problem to test it further is something that will be hard to do. I'm scared that when the problem occurs again i might not get so lucky like i have the past 2 times.

- My Laptop is an MSI GT80 Titan with SLI GPU's
- Im using windows 10 (my BIOS is UEFI firmware)
- I always update my computer when updates release (Drivers, windows, etc)
- My computer is clean of viruses. I never go on any websites that i do not feel 100% secure on as this is my baby and i treat it as so. I also use Malware-bytes and scan regularly just to be 100% safe and sure.

Any help is extremely appreciated.

Solution
I have exactly the same issue with exactly the same laptop. I got past it by going to BIOS on boot and selected "reset and save" to exit. I thought it had fixed the problem since it didn't happen again for days. But no. It seems to happen randomly. The BIOS fix works but after a few days it does it again. I'll keep eye on this forum and keep searching.

Richneedshelp

Commendable
Sep 16, 2016

No, my laptop wasn't over heating, i always monitor the temperature through a program and the temperatures were fine. Also i dont notice any damage to any parts at the moment i could be wrong though, i played a few games today and my fps was normal (like it was before this problem occurred) and had 0 problems in-game.

Richneedshelp

Commendable
Sep 16, 2016

Alright, ill try, do you know any good ones or should i just use any i come across from googling it? Also do you think running a diagnostic tool would help pinpoint the problem? A friend whos a tech recommended me to run a hardware test/scan. He also said my SSD might be failing because of the corrupted files deal but i'm not sure what to think. I had 2 HDD's fail in my time using PC's and both had very very different symptoms than some corrupted files but then again this is an SSD not an HDD - which leaves me clueless.

Well corrupted files does often mean a failing drive. Sadly. So your friend is correct about running tests on the system to see if that is the problem and also to try and pinpoint any others.

In regards to monitoring software, there are so many out there, I really couldn't say 'all' the ones to try. For hard drive monitoring, try this link, it takes to a list (with details) of free ones. http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-disk-health-monitoring-utility.htm

WoodyJH

Commendable
Sep 18, 2016
I have exactly the same issue with exactly the same laptop. I got past it by going to BIOS on boot and selected "reset and save" to exit. I thought it had fixed the problem since it didn't happen again for days. But no. It seems to happen randomly. The BIOS fix works but after a few days it does it again. I'll keep eye on this forum and keep searching.

Solution

Crieneedshelp

Commendable
Dec 10, 2016
I've got the same problem with my Gt70, please Richneedshelp Answer Asap.
What happened to your Laptop and how did you fix it??
If i reset and format everything will it help? My laptop was made for Win8 but i upgraded to Win10 longtime ago. At first i thought this was my problem but from what i found on the internet that there is a problem with SSD or the HDD.
PLEASE ANYHELP WOULD BE APPRECIATIED.

Crieneedshelp

Commendable
Dec 10, 2016

Sure thing! here is my update: I've contacted Saudi MSI Service center. I didn't get what they said exactly was the problem. but, what i understood from them is that the problem is with Win10 incompatibility that Microsoft didn't make Win10 fully compatible with MSI gaming laptops. Even the new generation of thier series had the exact problem. What the solution they gave me was to downgrade to a lower ver. Of windows.
Didn't try that yet. if i did and found that it helped i'll update this thread.

Chris_459

Prominent
May 15, 2017
had this same problem was worried but guess what just reboot keep hitting the delete key this takes you to a menu click on boot up category and be willing to bet money it is trying to boot up from another source ex usb port cd dvd. if this is the case click on the computer hard drive and save changes you will now boot up normally

Richneedshelp

Commendable
Sep 16, 2016
Guys this is an update from me ONE WHOLE YEAR LATER. My gt80 laptop is still running very well and very much still alive and I love it very much. HOWEVER. The problem has never ever been fixed. I still run into this problem At least once a month sometimes less. It usually happens back to back a couple times before a whole month or two pass without incident, so if it happens one day and then the next day, don't worry too much. I have learned to live with it as there seems to be no evidence that it is dangerous for the laptop. IF THIS PROBLEM HAPPENS TO YOU HERE IS AN EASY FIX

Simply boot into BIOS (tap Delete key furiously at boot up) and select save and exit, or Discard and exit. If this does not work try this -
PRESS F3 (tapping furiously, show it your rage lol) while booting up to get to "advanced options" it will open a blue screen to select a language - select your language and then proceed to the next screen and press "exit and continue to Windows 10"

It seems the only fix is these 2 alternate ways of beginning a boot up. Or down grading to Windows 7 or 8 because it seems that the problem may very well be a compatability issue with msi laptops and windows 10. I enjoy windows 10 very much and will live with the issue as it is a simple fix every time and I no longer consider it a headache or annoyance.

Remember
-F3 for advanced options - exit and continue to Windows 10

-Del (delete) for BIOS - discard and exit / save and exit.

Status
Not open for further replies.