MSI Laptop won't power on at all.

Jun 11, 2018
I own an MSI GP62M 7RD-275 laptop, I had a problem a few months ago with the keyboard and it was changed under warranty. From that point onward everything was working normally.

A couple of weeks ago I was using and the battery fully discharged, after connecting it to power and attempting to turn it on, it did not turn on. I took it to my local retailer and upon opening it they found that my audio jack broke from the inside as you can see in this image album https://imgur.com/a/vNvei3c and according to my local retailer they're saying that they think it fried the motherboard. They're asking me to pay €850 for a motherboard replacement and they are not sure it will get back to normal. I am very disappointed as according to them this does neither fall under warranty neither are they sure that this will solve all my issues.

They're also suggesting that they can removing the soldering from the audio port and check if it'll work like that. This to me seems like they do not know what the issue is and they are trying to troubleshoot by changing component by component charging me through out the process..

I would appreciate any ideas on what the issue might be..

Thank you.

Solution
You can try removing the cmos battery & plugging in the charger. If it turns on you know the power button, cable or power port on the motherboard is broken. If it doesn't turn on I think the only solution will be a new motherboard. Also, you can try looking on internet for a motherboard, most of the time they are way cheaper. If you use a youtube video it's pretty easy to replace it yourself.

Zapthos

Commendable
Dec 31, 2016
Something else that's very common with laptops is that you have to drain the power to get it to work.
1. Unplug the battery & charger
2. Hold the power button for 30 seconds
3. Plug in the battery and/or charger and try it again
Also a good chance it may have fried the charging port and not the motherboard.

Jun 11, 2018

Unfortunately that didn't work :( I tried it many times as well.. It's strange because as soon as I plug-in my charger the charging LED powers on..

Jun 11, 2018

Nope the only sign of power I would say that it's showing is the battery charging LED turning on as soon as I plug-in the AC. Upon pressing the power button it doesn't even turn on. I tried replacing the power button as well and still no luck :(

Zapthos

Commendable
Dec 31, 2016
You can try removing the cmos battery & plugging in the charger. If it turns on you know the power button, cable or power port on the motherboard is broken. If it doesn't turn on I think the only solution will be a new motherboard. Also, you can try looking on internet for a motherboard, most of the time they are way cheaper. If you use a youtube video it's pretty easy to replace it yourself.

Solution