Solved! MSI M6275 vs Compaq CQ62Z?

PinkCrayon

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2009
Hello! I am somewhat of a newbie when it comes to laptops, so I'm not sure how powerful the graphics are (although I think they are on-board so I might as well assume I have no graphics processing at all). I was pretty set on the MSI because it seemed like a good value for the money, but then I found this Compaq!

I'm planning to use this laptop for school (I am enrolled in a computer science program). I'm thinking I'll probably have to run things like Microsoft Visual Studio, so the larger cache on the MSI will come in handy, although I am somewhat inclined to buy the Compaq because of its sexier shell.

MSI - $500
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834152157

Compaq - $490 + Shipping ($30)
Processor AMD Phenom(TM) II Dual-Core Mobile Processor N620 (2.8GHz, 2MB L2 Cache)
Graphics card ATI Mobility Radeon(TM) HD 4250 Graphics [HDMI, VGA]
Memory 2GB DDR3 System Memory (2 Dimm)
Hard drive FREE Upgrade to 320GB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive
Primary battery 6 Cell Lithium Ion Battery edit
Display 15.6" diagonal High Definition HP LED Brightview Display (1366x768)

There's free shipping on the MSI so the two are pretty much equal in price. Unfortunately, I'm not quite sure how much video memory I get with the Compaq.

What does Tom recommend? Perhaps a completely different laptop?

PinkCrayon

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2009
Ok, I just stumbled on this.

HP Pavilion
http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/productdetails.aspx?path=87ae90558a40f44ae5e7a41d10ca0203en02&lid=fp-10146058-hewlettpackardhppavilion156amd-en&sku=10146058&lang=en&activetab=Tab_SpecialOffers#

Okay, so it has a smaller processor cache though it is clocked a little higher and the graphics is somewhat weaker. How much weaker is it though? Should I still shoot for the MSI because the extra $100 is worth it, or will the HP hold me over and save me some cash in the process?

I'm starting to think I should just shoot for the HP and put the extra money into replacing the cruddy intel stock cooling, since a laptop won't be able to run much besides office/work related stuff anyway.