Solved! Multimedia laptop with good battery life

vinster27

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
1_What is your budget?
$800-1000 dollars

2_What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
13-16"

3_What screen resolution do you want?
HD LED

4_Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
portable

5_How much battery life do you need?
GOOD battery life. 8-cell or better

6_Do you want to play games with your laptop? Yes, mainly sims 3 and madden

7_What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing,watching movies, Etc.)
Photo editing, watching movies, games, listening to music

8_How much storage (H.D.D Capacity) do you need?
500GB or better

9_If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
Newegg or Amazon

10_How long do you want to keep your laptop?
4-5 years

11_What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
Dvd burner

12_Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
Mainly Asus- due to reliability, price and build quality

13_What country do you live in?
USA

14_Please tell us any additional information if needed.
I'm looking for a new multimedia laptop to replace my 5 year old Dell Laptop and I want to try to keep the price below $1000 dollars. I have had two Dell laptops in the past and I have always had overheating issues with both so I would like to try something different. I like Asus mainly because of the build quality, price and the battery life. I have narrowed it down to these two laptops so please tell me what you think. Thanks.

ASUS N61JV-X2 16-Inch Versatile Entertainment Laptop (Dark Brown)
http://www.amazon.com/N61JV-X2-16-Inch-Versatile-Entertainment-Laptop/dp/B00352LQYO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1277064971&sr=8-1

ASUS U30JC-A1 13.3-Inch Laptop (Silver)
http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-U30JC-A1-13-3-Inch-Laptop-Silver/dp/B0036ZEANO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1277065023&sr=1-1

Solution
Between those,i would go for the first one because of having a much better graphic card.
ASUS G60 is another good option(but the battery life isn't very well),since bestbuy links doesn't work,go to www.bestbuy.com and search for G60JX-RBBX05
It has a much more powerful graphic than either N61 or U30 but has less battery life.
Between those,i would go for the first one because of having a much better graphic card.
ASUS G60 is another good option(but the battery life isn't very well),since bestbuy links doesn't work,go to www.bestbuy.com and search for G60JX-RBBX05
It has a much more powerful graphic than either N61 or U30 but has less battery life.

Solution

vinster27

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
I did get a chance to check out the Asus G60 at Best buy and the main problem that I had with it was the weight. At 7.5lbs the laptop is extremely heavy and with the poor battery life I can't really see myself purchasing that laptop. And as far as the N61JV goes, I love everything about the laptop except for the battery life and the low-res screen. That's why I was leaning more toward the U30JC but I don't know if the Core i3 will be good enough to last for 4-5 years. It definitely has great battery life and build quality but I think purchasing a core i5 laptop would be better in the long run. I wish Asus would come up with a laptop that has the build quality and battery life of the U30JC + Core i5 processor. That would be the ultimate portable laptop for sure !!

IsabellaWinTeam

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2010

Hi there,

I would go with the first one. Since you are looking for a multi-media laptop the larger screen will be the best solution. It also has a more powerful processor than the second one. It also has more hard drive space.

I hope this helps!

Cheers,
Isabella
MSFT Windows Outreach Team