Multiple Manufacturers May Confuse Steam Machine Buyers

Status
Not open for further replies.

nbelote

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2009
That's a lot like saying, "Microsoft has elected to let third parties build a wide range of Windows systems — a strategy that could prove both beneficial and confusing."

Seriously? If you can't take the time to learn about a product before you buy it, you're the only one to blame if it doesn't live up to your expectations.

lpedraja2002

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007
This is actually a valid point. I'm thinking that due to the diverse options that will follo wthat they should make a grading system based on the performance the Steam box will provide. They could go with letters like : Steam OS - A performance, B performance etc. or just make the Steam box requirements to be fairly powerful as a minimum. If they're aiming for a price point that matches the consoles price range then one can assume that it will be a pretty powerul steam box and will not have trouble running games.

brazuka331

Honorable
Dec 16, 2012
i like ipedraja2002 idea. Give it a Windows like ration system. But have to requirements change every year with new parts. So what was a Class A system this is might be a B next year because of new parts.

chuckydb

Honorable
Mar 5, 2012
I hope these machines have to be approved by Valve themselves, cause if it's the way most gaming machines at best buy are, we'll have Steam machines with more than 16Gb of ram with some crossfire/sli of shitty GPU, and horrible reliability, making the noob have PC gaming for sure.

JD88

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013
What a bunch of nonsense. People who game and know what a Steam Box is are not going to get "confused." We're talking about gamers here, not iSheep.

hyperparageom

Honorable
Aug 21, 2013
This is a parallel to AMD and Nvidia-farm out a reference machine and let your partners loose on it. But always, do the research.

lpedraja2002

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007
This is actually a valid point. I'm thinking that due to the diverse options that will follo wthat they should make a grading system based on the performance the Steam box will provide. They could go with letters like : Steam OS - A performance, B performance etc. or just make the Steam box requirements to be fairly powerful as a minimum. If they're aiming for a price point that matches the consoles price range then one can assume that it will be a pretty powerul steam box and will not have trouble running games.

joebakb

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
I have a feeling that the final 'revelation' on the website will tie it together a bit better. So far, with what we know, we can really say this: Steam is following through with Gabe's comment on Linux being the future of gaming. Big PC gaming companies and indie companies alike have to code for one OS and one OS only in order to reach a massive audience, which is already in place. No ports and no discrepancies between ports. Steam has achieved this by making the OS hardware flexible and COMPLETELY FREE. You can build your own console/steambox/PC on your own terms. You don't have to have 3 separate consoles to play all the games you want. Not only that, but all that you need to obtain a game is an internet connection. No more discs. Let's also not forget about all the sweet Steam sales brought right to your living room TV. I'd wager we will also see XBMC, PLEX, etc in a full blown app store within steam in the near future as well, which is evident by the few apps already popping up.

This is a great idea. All it will take is good execution from the start and things will fall into place.

joebakb

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
I have a feeling that the final 'revelation' on the website will tie it together a bit better. So far, with what we know, we can really say this: Steam is following through with Gabe's comment on Linux being the future of gaming. Big PC gaming companies and indie companies alike have to code for one OS and one OS only in order to reach a massive audience, which is already in place. No ports and no discrepancies between ports. Steam has achieved this by making the OS hardware flexible and COMPLETELY FREE. You can build your own console/steambox/PC on your own terms. You don't have to have 3 separate consoles to play all the games you want. Not only that, but all that you need to obtain a game is an internet connection. No more discs. Let's also not forget about all the sweet Steam sales brought right to your living room TV. I'd wager we will also see XBMC, PLEX, etc in a full blown app store within steam in the near future as well, which is evident by the few apps already popping up.

This is a great idea. All it will take is good execution from the start and things will fall into place.

tolham

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2009
"Imagine, instead, having four or five different manufacturers selling systems so diverse that the low-end ones may not even be able to support every game on Steam. Imagine also trying to explain that the Steam machine you buy today may not be sufficient to run demanding games that come out in two or three years."

you mean exactly how PCs have always been and yet PC games sell millions of copies? and how smartphones, tablets, e-readers, etc. are very similar and also selling quite well?

"Very few people want to hear that they need to already own a gaming-quality PC, ready to stream via Wi-Fi, if they want to access a good chunk of Steam's content."

you mean other than the millions of PC gamers who already have gaming rigs and wifi?

"Given that Steam was designed with PCs — inherently upgradable and in possession of a tech-savvy user base — in mind, targeting a user base that's more comfortable buying static machines could be a difficult proposition."

first, it's not that console users are somehow too inept to upgrade their consoles, it's that their consoles are incapable of being upgraded. they would upgrade if they could. second, a solid gaming rig can last a few years, and you can breathe new life into it with just one or two upgrades.

I'm sorry call you out, but Marshall Honorof, you are out of touch with reality. not only are your concerns baseless, but valve is a very shrewd business. I can guarantee they already covered this ground and did their homework before moving ahead with this plan.

Draven35

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2008
News from 30 years ago: "Multiple Manufacturers may confuse PC Buyers"
"Multiple Manufacturers may confuse VCR Buyers"
News from 28 years ago: "Multiple manufacturers may confuse CD player buyers"
News From 20 years ago: multiple manufacturers may confuse DVD player buyers"
News from 5 years ago: "multiple manufacturers may confuse android phone buyers"

ehh, I dont think so.

Eisbrecher34

Honorable
Feb 14, 2012
To me Steam is getting into a market that doesn't need it. Sure a Steam Box would be cool, but it won't do anything a computer can't. Sure I may enjoy playing indie games on my TV with a controller, but with the PS4 and XBOX one already having the capabilities of a high end gaming rig AND home networking capabilites plus their exclusive titles I just don't see the raging need for a Steam Box...

Eisbrecher34

Honorable
Feb 14, 2012
To me Steam is getting into a market that doesn't need it. Sure a Steam Box would be cool, but it won't do anything a computer can't. Sure I may enjoy playing indie games on my TV with a controller, but with the PS4 and XBOX one already having the capabilities of a high end gaming rig AND home networking capabilites plus their exclusive titles I just don't see the raging need for a Steam Box...

hixbot

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2007
I hope this drives developers to start coding for x86 linux instead of Windows/MAC.
I also hope this pushes NVIDIA and AMD to take linux drivers more seriously. OpenGL has a long way to go if it wants to beat DirectX.

Steveymoo

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011
Yer, this approach appeals to people that are already quite into PC gaming, but I reckon probably 90% of the population are just not interested in having more than one option for gaming. They just want one single box that you can plug in, switch on, and play games, while wiping the drool off of their gaping mouths.

BulkZerker

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
As long as the launch day low end rigs match the performance of the ps4 and xBONE everything will be fine. A year down the road that same low end box will have a price drop, hopefully. And that's on the hardware side. Nevermind the steam sales!

Status
Not open for further replies.