multiple OSs running at same time

oudmaster

Honorable
Jul 26, 2013
Hi all
this is relatively related to hardware virtualization.
if you want to install multiple operating systems and run them on same time, how will you do it.
for studying and testing I use VMware Workstation. but I do not see it professional to run it in a business company.

regards,

Solution
There's a couple different ways to do this.

One involves building your own whitebox VM server for either VMware ESXi, Citrix Xen Server FREE or Microsoft HyperV. Personally, VMware and Citrix have the best packages right now with pros and cons to each. There is a lot of good community support for both products that will help you do this.

Some personal notes from a recent project: VMware ESXi console will allow you to borwse the local storage which makes certain admin tasks a little easier. But cloning images ia a manual process with ESXi. Citrix XenServer handles updates/patches seamlessly and includes a few more features in the free version than ESXi, such as cloning. But both are excellent.

The other method is to install...

maddogfargo

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2006
There's a couple different ways to do this.

One involves building your own whitebox VM server for either VMware ESXi, Citrix Xen Server FREE or Microsoft HyperV. Personally, VMware and Citrix have the best packages right now with pros and cons to each. There is a lot of good community support for both products that will help you do this.

Some personal notes from a recent project: VMware ESXi console will allow you to borwse the local storage which makes certain admin tasks a little easier. But cloning images ia a manual process with ESXi. Citrix XenServer handles updates/patches seamlessly and includes a few more features in the free version than ESXi, such as cloning. But both are excellent.

The other method is to install desktop virtualization software such as VMware View, Virtual Box or Virtual PC. This will allow you to create and run virtual machines on your computer without building a server dedicated to this purpose. it is less resource efficient, but more convenient if you are just starting out with virtualization.

Solution

oudmaster

Honorable
Jul 26, 2013

ok dear
I am modest on this
if you have strong server and you want to install 5 operating systems (windows server 2008). and run them all at same time, which product you are going to use ?

ss202sl

Honorable
VMWARE ESXI is perfect to run multiple virtual machines all running 2008. Depending on the specs of the box, you can have many servers running on it. I have some VM servers running 30 vm's on it with no issues, of course I have multiple quad-core cpu's and 512GB of ram. This is part of a VM farm(cluster) with 6 physical servers and more than 200 virtual servers.

oudmaster

Honorable
Jul 26, 2013
thanks guys for these details
I got very good image on this topic

one more question please
initially when you purchase a server and you want to virtualize it.
so will you install VMware vSphere or Citrix XenServer first and then start installing OSs ?
or you have to install at least one OS and then install the VMware ?

oudmaster

Honorable
Jul 26, 2013
I went through VMware Products and I saw many

VMware ESX
Vmware ESXI
VMware VSphere
VMware Workstation (I know this)
VMware Vcenter
Vmware Fusion

can some please clarify these to me in short

thanks,