Multipurpose 5.1 Audio Setup Help

theberserkfury

Honorable
Jul 23, 2012
Hi all,

I'm in the market for a 5.1 surround sound system and my budget is right around $300. I've had my eye on the Logitech Z906 for a few months now. However, I'm starting to wonder if there might be better options for me.

I'm want to use this system for gaming (PS3), broadcast television, movies (played off my PS3 and laptop), and music (off of my computer primarily, but also from an iPhone). I don't have a TV yet but that purchase will be made imminently. I'm not opposed to buying a set of speakers and a receiver separately (as long as it fits in my budget), but I figure it's probably easier if I just buy a prepackaged system.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what kind of setup I should be looking at? Should I go after the Z906 or something more like this Sony setup?

I'm also wondering what would be the best way to hook the system up when I have it all purchased. Run HDMI from my laptop and PS3 into the TV and then have the audio coming out of the TV to the receiver? Or find a receiver that takes HDMI and have the PS3 and laptop into that and then HDMI out from the receiver to the TV? In either case, is optical out the best option for getting sound from the TV to the receiver and speakers?

If there's anything else I can add to make things clearer, please let me know. Thanks!

batuchka

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
If u are buying a set up based on SQ and not convenience, no form of PC/Multimedia speakers should ever be considered @@

As you said - you can go with separates and i would even suggest a solid 2.1 1st, then expand out as you get more $$ rather than settle for something cheap, muddy sounding which is also poorly built as well hehe

If $$ were an issue hit a used DD/DTS coax/optical AVR off Craiglist and a pair of bookshelf speakers and 8-10" active sub?

theberserkfury

Honorable
Jul 23, 2012
So I could get a good 2.1 system, and then later add a receiver and a couple more speakers and I'd be in pretty good shape?

Any recommendations on a solid 2.1 set?

Thanks for your response and advice!

theberserkfury

Honorable
Jul 23, 2012
If I want to stick to brand new/current tech stuff, it's probably unlikely that I'll be able to put together a quality system that fits into my $300 budget, right?

Trimming a bit on the subwoofer seems possible but I'm having trouble finding a receiver cheaper than the one you suggested (at least if I wanna get it new [which I do])...

batuchka

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Nah i suggest not skimping on a sub - getting a poor entry level one, you would most likely upgrade to a better/higher end one sooner rather than later but a BIC F12 for a starter sub would give you decent performance. I would really go used coax/optical receiver if $$ were an issue rather than settle for updated tech but inferior SQ hehe

Velocitydreamer

Honorable
Mar 13, 2012
Do you have room limitation? I can most definately suggest a strong setup for you :) trust me ;) Let me know if you're still looking, and I can help you find a setup (in that price range) that will be thunderous.

theberserkfury

Honorable
Jul 23, 2012
Actually, I have a pretty significant room limitation... I'm starting to think a 2.1 system is the way to go and then upgrade/expand when I move into a bigger place in a year or two...

So I think I'm just gonna get a cheap, prepackaged 2.1 system and then get a pretty nice set of headphones... it'll end up saving me money in the short-term and I'm sure I'll use the headphones for a long while...

I'm definitely not opposed to hearing your 5.1 setup suggestion anyway, assuming it's not too much trouble for you. I could hold onto the basics of it and go after it when it makes more sense for me. Up to you, of course...

Thanks a lot!