My acer 5532 laptop has a black screen but it's running when you power it up. How do I fix this problem.

toya44

Commendable
Nov 25, 2016
My Acer 5532 laptop has a black screen but it's running when you power it up. How do I fix this problem. I've already tried to restart it without the disk because i don't have it. Do I need to install new hardware.

First turn off the laptop and connect an external monitor. Turn on the external monitor and then turn on the laptop. If you can see on the external monitor, then the problem lies in the attached display. If that is the case you would need to check the ribbon cable that connects the display and make sure it isn't damage, loose, bent, torn, pinched, etc. If it isn't, then the display itself may be the problem.

If you can't see on the external display either, then your graphics card/GPU (and possibly your motherboard) will need replacing.

XenoFrank

Honorable
Jan 1, 2014
Have you tried plugging the laptop up to an external monitor and see if you can see anything?

Otherwise try unplugging the laptop from the charger and then holding down on the power button for 20 seconds, then hit the power switch again and see if the screen comes back on. If this still does not do anything then you will need to open up the laptop, remove the battery, and then press and hold the power button for 10 seconds to cycle the power out of the computer. Afterwards put the battery back in, reassemble, and try turning it back on again.